• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wood/ Denim Pen salvaged plus stained pen

iandel

First Name
Ian
View attachment 32780View attachment 32781View attachment 32782View attachment 32783View attachment 32784

The first two pictures show a pen I tried to make/made from sandwiching denim into a blank. I apologise for the quality of the photos and poor lighting - I'll have to rig up something better. As you can see in the third picture things didn't go according to plan when the end of one of the blanks flew off. I guess there was not enough wood at the bushing. I saved the pen by cutting a shoulder and reaming out a spare centre ring which i fitted at the cap end.
The last two pictures are of my 6 year old granddaughter who has made her very first pen. I cut, drilled, glues and rough turned the blanks. She finished them off with a SpindleMaster. She then stained the wood (sycamore), sanded and polished it. She is overjoyed with the result. The only problem is my 4 year old grandson wants to do the same! (No, I'm not letting him yet).

Ian

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I think you have made a good salvage there Ian, it's something you can develop on for your next pen. Has your granddaughter said what sort of lathe she wants for a birthday/Christmas present or are you going to have to move over? it's a great first pen.

Robin

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Great first pens Ian, well done.

I like the idea of the denim tho, something different.

Novel way for a salvage tho.

As for grandsons, give him a onother year o two and he will be showing you how to do it.:winking: been there done that.:rolling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Of all our 50 plus grand/greatgrandchildren only one grandchild lives here in Canberra and her dad is a penmaker so he has taken care of the teaching.

Thanks for shaing your stories and pens in the words of les priceless.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).