• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

woodturning to metal turning

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Started the day wanting to turn a very simple wooden cylinder with a hole down the centre. Sould not take more than 1/2hour if that.

Found a piece of wood suitable for the job in hand, mounted it on the lathe made a chucking point placed in chuck raedy to drill hole down the centre, OH bother I have the right size fortner bit but will only drill half way through. OK I hear you say drill from both ends the problem being is that the pole that goes through is only just going to be a slide fit so any misalignment would be a pain.

OK so luckily I have the right equipment and materials to make a small extention (did not want a over long one.wife laughing in the background with that comment:whistling:)

forstner extension (2).JPGforstner extension (1).JPG

I was even lucky to find a grub screw of the right length job done tomorrow I will get the job done

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Clever and elegant solution. I find these sorts of jobs can often turn out to be as, or even more satisfying than the main job you’re going to use them for.
👍👍

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
You should know by now Derek that a small job often leads to another. :whistling:

One of the uses for your metal lathe you wouldn't have envisaged befor buying it. nicely solved. :banana:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thanks guys.

Bob I did guess that I would end up making things for woodworking as well as metal working especially jigs and the like. I will be cold blueing this as it will help with a little protection and it will live in the fortner bit box so it is handy for the next one onless I need a longer extension.

I did think of case hardening it just to see how my new torch works yes it has arrived already

new toy (1).JPG

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Well done mate, necessity is the mother of invention, don't know who the father is though...:winking:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Used it yesterday with little to no wobble, better than any commercial extension that I have used

Ballistol

First Name
Garry
Definitely worth cold blueing, it’s now my default treatment and although not a 100% answer to corrosion, it really does help. As I’m sure you’re aware, thorough degreasing first is the key to a good finish. 👍🏻

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Definitely worth cold blueing, it’s now my default treatment and although not a 100% answer to corrosion, it really does help. As I’m sure you’re aware, thorough degreasing first is the key to a good finish. 👍🏻
I have cold blued it and it turned out great. Yes, I do agree it does go some way to prevent rusting