• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Woodworm

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I found some in a piece of ebony I bought and so treated every bit of timber I have and get. It doesn't kill them off but stops then laying eggs in the good stuff. I've found that a good sharp skew does the job painlessly on the live ones. :thumbs:

Alternatively nuke them in the microwave... if you listen closely you can hear them pop :funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Pick up a s/h one for the shed Jim. I pinched MIL old one so the missus can't complain any more . Now all I need is an old oven to melt HDPE :whistling:

Was thinking of taking them to work and using that one Bob .. :whistling:

lignaterrae

Cut down to manageable sizes, pop into plastic bags and nestle them in the freezer for a week alongside the chicken wings and burgers. Don't mention anything to the wife or you will be as dead as the woodworms.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Sorry to suggest this but you might find that the freezer treatment is not very effective, in fact it could exacerbate the problem...

And the reason.... These little wonders of the animal world survive the winter, otherwise Scotland would be a woodworm free zone, living in Scandanavia would be woodworm free, but its not. The life cycle of the woodworm beetle is regulated by the seasons like all things except humans who are non seasonal bunnies. However as woodworm beetles dont have recreational sex, they breed, lay their eggs and the eggs hatch in the spring. The eggs survive in wood for up to three or more years before they emerge to see which delicacy they were born into. Fact - eggs survive sub zero tempreatures.

What happens after winter? Spring and all the flowers burst into colour, the world cheers up and the little shits in your wood shed decide its time to inflict themselves on the world and wreak havoc.

So youve put the wood in the freezer, a bit like forcing the narcissus or the big bulbs that you shove in the dark or the fridge and they come up over christmas (begins with H but cant remember what theyre called) and all the larvae have died because they think they have been caught out because its winter and shuffle off their mortal coil. But the eggs, emerging from the freezer, warm up and think that it is now time to spring forth, and soon after you take them out of the freezer into the warmth of the surrounding world, the problem is back with a vengeance.

My mate who is a professional rat catcher (Pest exterminator contractor to be politically correct) offered this: if you cant soak it or want to soak it, burn it. He added if you do have sacrificial timber in your shed which will do some good, burn it in February after you have replaced it. The larvae will then not yet have emerged in March/April time.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Totally agree Neil, not sure a microwave will do the trick either.
I remember my kids putting insects of all sorts trying to nuke em but all they did was watch them crawling around in there even switched on full blast.
The hamster made a mess and so did the neighbors cat but insects were totally unaffected by microwaves.

Does anyone know if woodworm are edible?
Working on this theory I could battery farm them by freezing them and warming them every 4 hours like they do with turning lights on and off for chickens to get them to lay more eggs init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Probably to the same extent that Marmite is. :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

You know I love Marmite Walter, I have it in Catering sized tubs from the warehouse init?
In fact you have made me just fancy a Marmite, Beetroot and Honey sandwich, lovely init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).