• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Your opinion please gentlemen

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Angels have wings, Pauls birds also now here we have a tool with wings the first is unproven the second is obvious then we come to the third and most obvious two benighted opportunities to end up in hospital.

I have watched demos where pro turners have used an axe to turn, one handed skew use hundreds of new and must have tools. The Moscow Circus performers display death defying acts motor bikes in cages of death.

That video matched some of the most futile efforts to turn a bowl I have seen ever in thirty odd years.

These days hogging out the centre of a bowl has been simplified, gone are the mysteries that surrounded early turners. Some of the finest delicate huge bowl making I have seen involved merely a 3/8 inch bowl gouge patiently used.

Some of the best turning I have seen involved only scrapers with huge ex bridge timbers.

Never have I witnessed such stupidity with a winged chisel unnecessary risk taking is never an answer IMHO.

Peter.:fingers::fingers:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I've just watched the video, but I have to say, that is only half the reason why not to use a roughing gouge for cross-grain work - the other half is that whereas a bowl gouge is held in its handle by the full diameter of the shaft, a roughing gouge is a forged tool which is held in only by a thin tang. The forces associated with cross-grain turning mean that in the event of a catch, the tang is not substantial enough to prevent the tool from possibly breaking at the point it enters the handle, resulting in, well, an ambulance, and possibly an undertaker. And no, I'm not going to make a video to illustrate my point.

I don't have a video but this is a picture of what can happen to the gouge. This is not my picture, it was posted by my friend John Taylor on another forum, I don't know the original source. I don't know what happened to the chap on the end of it either, hopefully he survived to take the photograph.

DSC059272028Medium29.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Personally I would never demonstrate why this is a stupid practice I value my digits and my eyes to much I would explain and that would be as far as I would be willing to go both videos to me are absolute stupidity if I was to say make a scrapper from an old file most of you would jump on my back with all the safety issues well to me these videos are even worst as the saying goes don't try this at home the two idiots in the videos is enough we dont need any more

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Personally I would never demonstrate why this is a stupid practice I value my digits and my eyes to much I would explain and that would be as far as I would be willing to go both videos to me are absolute stupidity if I was to say make a scrapper from an old file most of you would jump on my back with all the safety issues well to me these videos are even worst as the saying goes don't try this at home the two idiots in the videos is enough we dont need any more

My feelings also mate they sure set the turning back ten years with this rubbish.

Peter.:fingers:

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
I don't have a video but this is a picture of what can happen to the gouge. This is not my picture, it was posted by my friend John Taylor on another forum, I don't know the original source. I don't know what happened to the chap on the end of it either, hopefully he survived to take the photograph.

DSC059272028Medium29.jpg
i bet that would scare the living whatever out of u

Steve

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).