• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Your thoughts people's

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Another day in the shed managed to finish marking out the latest project and do some shaping. I would like your thoughts on the overall idea and especially the bead on the bottom of the bowl section. There is going to be some texturing and piercing as well as colouring but that is for later.
The edges still need some cleaning up and smoothing out.

Attachments

• DSCF6485 (2).JPG
    DSCF6485 (2).JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCF6487 (2).JPG
    DSCF6487 (2).JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF6489 (2).JPG
    DSCF6489 (2).JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 115

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Not so keen on the bead but the rim of the bowl bit would be nice shaped same as the rest but that's just me..:thinks: looks good so far though :thumbs:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I like the idea very much Derek but lose the bead so the bottom of the vessel tucks in nicely. Only my opinion.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Great love the idea but I have to go with Bill everything is spot on barr the bead lose it Derek then I think it will look the business

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am with the consensis Derek I love the bead when it is separated from the rest ande on its own, the rest is very delicate and fascinating.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you all I will lose the bead and may even re-turn that part and make it just a little smaller. Still got quite a bit to do to this but will show it when complete

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Don't lose the bead it is merely too thick and too prominent it should match the delicacy of the rim but the bowl/goblet should be lifted slightly and not immured into the 'water lilies'.

PG

Macaronytony

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
Love the design and craftsmanship Derek. I would go back to nature and look at some pictures of the real plant.

Sent from my Galaxy 6

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
A lovely bit of turning and shaping you have done there Derek. I should imagine that this will look a stunner when you get it finished. Get stuck in mate it would be nice to see the finished piece when we have our meet up.

:thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you guys nearly had a disaster today marking out the petals/leaves I put the curve on the top the wrong way as I want them to look as if they are laying on each other as I am texturing and piercing the top and bottom of them.

Get stuck in mate it would be nice to see the finished piece when we have our meet up.

:thumbs:

What you changed your dates until next year then Vic:funny::funny::funny:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
This thread is not meant to be a WIP but you can see the progress of this piece here are the three lower sections. The small top one has just been rough shaped and the leaves marked out the larger one has just the intersection of the leaves carved in and the Middle sized one has the leaves shaped roughly as it still needs some more sanding down the grits as it is only done to 120 grit.

Attachments

• DSCF6498 (2).JPG
    DSCF6498 (2).JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF6499 (2).JPG
    DSCF6499 (2).JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF6503 (2).JPG
    DSCF6503 (2).JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF6506 (2).JPG
    DSCF6506 (2).JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 19

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Very nice and easy to see how it is done:thumbs:

Peter

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you Peter and Peter.

The bead has gone but still not happy with the bowl so will work on the shape/size and design

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).