• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

1st. Celtic Knot

TonyMilner

First Name
Anthony
I'd got fed up of cutting wood with my old plastic el cheapo mitre box, so I got a 14tpi Wood Hand Mitre Saw from Screwfix. After trying it out I thought 'Lets see if I can make a Celtic Knot, blank...this was the result, not perfect, but with more practice...
IMG_20210816_194330_3 (2).jpg

I'd always assumed that one needed a bandsaw or table saw to make the accurate cuts needed, but this £29 mitre saw will do me for now! The inserts were old bank type cards.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well done, looks great for a first attempt.

I was saying to [MENTION=2366]Garno[/MENTION] Gary the other week that you don’t “need” a band saw as a mitre saw was sufficient.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice job.... I agree with [MENTION=165]silver[/MENTION] you can do a lot with hand tools, I remember making mitre boxes as an apprentice, I still make jigs / templates when it's repetitive work. Nice sharp tools too:thumbs::thumbs:

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
I would never of guessed that was your first go at it.

You have made something to be very proud of.

:drool::drool::drool:

Gary

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Looks great, and as others have said you’d never guess first time…..

So yet another newbie type question……how?

Padster

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Am I missing something, I always thought a mitre saw is more accurate than a band saw.?:scratch_head::scratch_head:

Oz thoughts can lead you in to all sorts of trouble mark. :rolling:

I guess it all depends on the quality of the mitre saw, an el-cheapo mitre is likely to be no better than a good quality bandsaw. But a good quality mitre will be better than an el-cheapo bandsaw. So it’s horses for courses I guess.

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
And the real secret is not to cut the blank all the way through, leave about 1/16" uncut this makes inserting the plastic far easier and faster, after all you will turn that away, I used a medium thick superglue to stick the cards into the slots.

I agree Tony.
That video shows how to make an out of balance celtic knot.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).