• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

1st Lathe

Ballistol

First Name
Garry
Hi,
Im looking for some recommendations regarding a first lathe.
Although I tend to incline towards more substantial bits of kit, I have to be realistic and look more towards something that can be kept under a workbench and brought out as and when required. My workshop (garage 😁) is pretty full, with a centre lathe, milling m/c, pillar drill, benches etc and I really don’t have space to spare.
I do accept that a smaller lathe will come with inherent limitations, but still want something decent.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Hold onto your wallet mate....Axi has so many toys to tempt you with....I go in to buy one thing and normally buy 5 others or more :lmao: :lmao:
What they said Axi is great, and as @flexi says can break your wallet - unfortunately they closed my local store (20 mins away) so now I have 1-2hr drive, and whilst the website is good it's never the same as being in the store and usually the staff have great knowledge.....

Padster

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
I started off with a Charnwood lathe 9 years ago, and made my own bench for it to sit on. I intended to upgrade with time but have never felt the need to do so, because I am still very happy with it.
Great for pens and turning up to 12 inches diameter.
The only repair was to replace the on/off switch a couple of years ago.
I have the W821 but that is no longer made, but the W824 is a better replacement.
Mike

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
I bought a second hand Axminster AC370WL. Brilliant woodturning lathe, but one needs a large area to set it up in. When I refurbished it, I bought a new Axminster AC305WL, that's because I had a large order for pens come in. That comes with all the tools and is variable speed. Both are very good turning machines at a very good price. A nice strong wood lathe, which copes very well and a nice price.
It will all depend on what you intend to turn. My large lathe can turn up to 370mm diameter on the bed and some 1mt offset on the bed! and I have bored a hole of 6 inches with a hole cutter, that was fun!!!!
If you can spare the time, go and see what's on offer, you may buy on that's not been talked about on here. You choice my friend and wallet.
Kelvin

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I started off over 10 years ago with the Axminster Perform ccsl lathe it's bright yellow and still running true....it has the bed extension (never fitted) and tbh does everything that I need. I have turned hundreds of pens, shaving brushes and bottle stoppers it's been a great 'little' lathe. I haven't done bowls nor really want to, that's me....find something that fits your budget and what you anticipate to turn the answer will come from the shortlist created...
Last year I did service the lathe ( yup once in 10 years) and replaced the bushes and belt...£20 from Axi and in stock...

Rob Stoakley

First Name
Rob
I used to work (for my sins) at Axminster and if you search hard enough, stuff that I wrote is still on their website. I was asked to write a piece on choosing a lathe so I approached Jason Breach and sought his advice, some of which (if memory serves) is as follows; buy the biggest lathe you can afford (you can turn small stuff on a big lathe, but not the other way round), cast iron, in plentiful quantity is your friend. Look for a decent lathe bed (none of those bar things), big headstock/tailstock bearings etc, a swivelling headstock and electronic speed control. There was other stuff which escapes me at present but that's about the essence of it - Rob

Nicholas Andrews

First Name
Nicholas
Hi,
Although I tend to incline towards more substantial bits of kit, I have to be realistic and look more towards something that can be kept under a workbench and brought out as and when required. My workshop (garage 😁) is pretty full, with a centre lathe, milling m/c, pillar drill, benches etc and I really don’t have space to spare.
I do accept that a smaller lathe will come with inherent limitations, but still want something decent.
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Hi,
Any advice welcome.
Thanks
Unless you have upwards of £ 3K to spend, don’t bother with anything new. It will be Far Eastern rubbish, last a short time before needing attention and never feel a truly professional piece of kit. Beware even well regarded UK products e.g Record. All manufactured. In China, Korea or what have you even if Record quality control is better than most, which it is. Look on eBay for a used machine. Coronet, Myford and even Watkins for larger machines. Union Graduate OK but many hammered in a past life so beware. Some really good buys out there if you look hard. A second hand Vicmarc would be a super purchase but they don’t come up that often. Avoid new at all costs unless you have a large pocket.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
Don’t be put off by lack of variable speed on older models . Retrofitting a motor and variable drive is relatively easy. Youre in North Yorkshire, there are lots of clubs, mines in Thirsk and lathes do come up for sale.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Visited Axi.
Wow, just Wow :shocking:
If you do end up buying a lathe from them Garry, try a bit of hard haggling. They don't always knock money off but always open to chucking in some extras and you'll need just a few of those. Do your homework before buying.

I'm just north of Morpeth.

Ballistol

First Name
Garry
Right lads, a quick update followed by some more questions if I may.

Finally, got my new lathe, Axminster AP350WL.
A pal has loaned me some chisels, and I’ve got some carbide ones arriving.
Decent selection of Abranet/sanding paper bought.
Various sealers/waxes/CA bought.
Selection of PPE bought.
Pen mandrel kit with trimmer etc bought.
Basic slimline kits/blanks bought to practice.
Pen press bought.

Anything i’ve missed jumping out at you lads?

So just about ready to have a crack, but I‘m not sure if I’m being paranoid or not by not having any extraction. The problem being, I am going to be really tight for space, so i need something compact but effective. I would also like to use it as a cleanup vacuum, Is there something I could use for both?

As I am now a seasoned Axminster veteran 🤣 is it worth paying significantly more for one of their SK100 chucks over say a Record SC4? They broadly look the same but are poles apart on price and subsequent jaw sets cost. They both seem to be well made, and get good reviews but Axminster is almost £200 more.

Thanks in advance
Garry

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I got a Medivac in a local auction for £8 about 10 years ago and it's still going strong.
It cleans up as well as taking the dust away when sanding on the lathe.

MikeC

First Name
Michael Cowling
You are missing the kettle and Bovril!!!
Saves going into the kitchen covered in shavings and incurring wrath!!
I also have limited space in the garage. You just fit into it as you go along
Mike

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Right lads, a quick update followed by some more questions if I may.

Finally, got my new lathe, Axminster AP350WL.
A pal has loaned me some chisels, and I’ve got some carbide ones arriving.
Decent selection of Abranet/sanding paper bought.
Various sealers/waxes/CA bought.
Selection of PPE bought.
Pen mandrel kit with trimmer etc bought.
Basic slimline kits/blanks bought to practice.
Pen press bought.

Anything i’ve missed jumping out at you lads?

So just about ready to have a crack, but I‘m not sure if I’m being paranoid or not by not having any extraction. The problem being, I am going to be really tight for space, so i need something compact but effective. I would also like to use it as a cleanup vacuum, Is there something I could use for both?

As I am now a seasoned Axminster veteran 🤣 is it worth paying significantly more for one of their SK100 chucks over say a Record SC4? They broadly look the same but are poles apart on price and subsequent jaw sets cost. They both seem to be well made, and get good reviews but Axminster is almost £200 more.

Thanks in advance
Garry
This lathe has the later type of M33 x 3.5mm spindle with ASR locking system. Axminster make a Chuck specifically for this lathe so it can be run in reverse. You need the locking ring though:

You can buy another make of chuck but if you intend to run the lathe in reverse (very handy) make sure it’s an ASR type. I know Nova make one which is cheaper but I have both an Axminster Chuck and a Nova and the former is far better quality.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William