• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

1st Lathe

Ballistol

First Name
Garry
This lathe has the later type of M33 x 3.5mm spindle with ASR locking system. Axminster make a Chuck specifically for this lathe so it can be run in reverse. You need the locking ring though:

You can buy another make of chuck but if you intend to run the lathe in reverse (very handy) make sure it’s an ASR type. I know Nova make one which is cheaper but I have both an Axminster Chuck and a Nova and the former is far better quality.
William,
The lathe I bought was the very last one they had pre ASR, so technically I pointed out that it was obsolete and acquired a very healthy discount as a result (Well Bob did advise me to haggle hard 🤣🤣🤣 ) Other than the chuck locking arrangement, the two lathes are absolutely identical.
So it has the M33x3.5 utilising two grub screws facilitating use in reverse.

Good call on the tailstock chuck 👍🏻

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I’m pleased you got your new lathe & accessories Gary. The record Camvac is compact & good quality. I bought bits & pieces for the Camvac so I could clean up the workshop.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
William,
The lathe I bought was the very last one they had pre ASR, so technically I pointed out that it was obsolete and acquired a very healthy discount as a result (Well Bob did advise me to haggle hard 🤣🤣🤣 ) Other than the chuck locking arrangement, the two lathes are absolutely identical.
So it has the M33x3.5 utilising two grub screws facilitating use in reverse.

Good call on the tailstock chuck 👍🏻
Ah, ok. The Lathe disappeared from their website a few weeks ago. I thought they’d stopped selling it until it reappeared recently with the ASR version. I’ve got the earlier AT1416VS model and got that at a good discount, possibly because they rebadged it as the AP350WL? I’ve no idea what other differences there are though. I also got a big discount on an Ultimate Edge when they rebadged it. 😉
The best thing I got for my lathe was the 280mm Bed Extension. Enjoy your lathe, you got a good one.

IMG_9082.jpeg

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I would suggest getting some velcro sanding pads to attach the abranet to. You can get soft or hard foam ones and they make life easier , both are fairly cheap .

Also Simon Hope does some excellent self adhesive velcro to make special pads with . He’s also a smashing bloke to deal with .

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
I would suggest getting some velcro sanding pads to attach the abranet to. You can get soft or hard foam ones and they make life easier , both are fairly cheap .

Also Simon Hope does some excellent self adhesive velcro to make special pads with . He’s also a smashing bloke to deal with .
I have been looking for some 8" sanding discs velcro backed, but only seem to find the gum backed ones that you have to heat to get off.
It is only to sand blanks with the tubes glued in.
What grit would you recommend for wood and acrylic blanks????

Tom

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
I have been looking for some 8" sanding discs velcro backed, but only seem to find the gum backed ones that you have to heat to get off.
It is only to sand blanks with the tubes glued in.
What grit would you recommend for wood and acrylic blanks????

Tom
For wood I’m using 120 grit but that’s cos I had a 300mm disc ( hot melt type ) .

Not sure re acrylic . I have used it once but very , very gingerly as was concerned re overheating the blank or taking too much off. Hopefully others with more experience will join in and give us both ideas?