• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A BREATH OF FRESH AIR

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi guys,
Having finished a load of pens, I noticed a cough and I always wear my mask, a GVS Elipse P3 R Half-Face Respirator Mask, so I looked into an air powered full face mask. So with that, I started my search online and wow, its a mine field in the safety measures. Things have changed since I was in Health and Safety.

So below are my findings. Sorry if looks a long essay, it's worth a read.

Lets just clear this up now: medical/surgical masks, and ‘dust masks’ have no place in the workplace as they offer minimal or no protection against workplace hazards.

Assigned Protection Factor (APF) of 40 Points which coincides with P3 Classification and there are five levels of APF factors: 4, 10, 20, 40 and 2000. The higher the number, the greater the level of protection offered.

TH3 isn’t something we generally came across though, and so the question “what is TH3 filtration” is a valid one. The “TH” (the head), in the simplest term, are the letters given to protection that fully encloses the users face. The filters are then rated up to 3 levels, with 3 being the highest level of protection.

EN 12941 – Respiratory protective devices. Powered filtering devices incorporating a helmet or a hood. Requirements, testing, marking.​

So the powered air devices are classed as:

TH1– Low filter performance (90% minimum efficiency)

TH2– Medium filter performance (98% minimum efficiency)

TH3– High filter performance (99.8% minimum efficiency)

Remember!​

Normal oxygen levels in the atmosphere are 21%, and any level of oxygen below 19.5% is considered an oxygen deficient environment. In this situation, standard respiratory equipment, and even some powered respiratory equipment, is not suitable. This is because these systems only filter the air from the immediate surroundings of the wearer. In an oxygen deficient respiratory protection either needs to be through a powered respiratory airline system, with the source well away from the contaminated and low oxygen area, or the wearer needs a complete sealed bottled air solution- which achieves the highest APF rating.

Some full face helmets/masks on sale now, online.

JSP Powercap Active meets the TH1P requirements of EN12941

Axminster ARF 10, provides respiratory protection to EN12941:1998 + A2:2008 TH1P. The bump cap gives head protection to EN812. (JSP look alike mask)

Trend Airshield Pro Full Faceshield, TH2P filters. APF20.

Rutland's, PAPR-TH3, Conforms to respiratory protection TH3: EN 12941:1998, A1:2003. EN12941:1998/A2:2008.
And eye protection: EN166:2002 and PPE regulation 425/2016.

As you can see, the Rutland's PAPR, is the highest rating on sale now. So I have bought one and will be trying it out in the next few days. I will let you all know how I get on!
Kelvin

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for posting this Kelvin, I for one will be really interested to know how you get on, Rutlands used to have quite a bad reputation many years ago but hopefully that isn’t the case now & you’re happy with the respirator.
Covid nearly did for me back in 2020 & has left me with shadows on my lungs so I’m increasing cautious with what I breath in & a decent respirator is definitely on my to buy list.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Doug,
One like this should be OK for you. I did not need to breath heavy, like I did with the other mask. The only fault, if I can call it a fault, is my ears get cold and the face is cooler than without it. Outside in the cold air, makes my face very cold. Just saying!
The other fact noticed, is the filter, battery and parts, are cheaper than the others, even the filters for the Elipse, are dearer. Very little weight on the head, as the battery etc; is on the back belt, which I did not feel after a few minutes of use.
Kelvin

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
I have the Trend Model "Trend Airshield Pro Full Face shield, with the TH2P filters. APF20."

Always have it on when in the workshop, even with a dust extraction / collection unit on, the air can be thick with dust.
Never had an issue with it, have a spare battery on charge and a few spare filters in the cupboard and to be honest I personally think it works a treat.
Again, down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable wearing :thumbs:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Kelvin, are filters for dust and fumes?
I had an original Trend airshield and the motor drew fumes through the filters when I was finishing my work.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
@pittswood Kelvin,
I too am becoming interested in this - your write up is very comprehensive - and based on what you've written the Rutlands offering does seem a solid option... So very interested in your thoughts after using it.

I have to be honest and say I don't very often use a mask, I have the trend stealth that I use if I'm doing lots of sanding or routing (especially MDF), I do always wear eye protection, either glasses for pens or a full face shield for larger objects like bowls but I'm thinking I ought to pay more attention to respiration, as after turning the panga panga bowl the other day and my nose and nostrils were full of **** when I finished, probably can't be good for me LOL.

Padster

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
This is excellent Kelvin, thank you for taking the time to write it up.
I’m really interested to hear what you think of the Rutland PAPR. As someone who sports a beard these days I tend to favour the full helmet style respirators. I’ve been using the Axminster Evolution mask for quite a few years but it’s pretty beaten up now and was thinking just the other day that it may be time for a replacement…

RobR

First Name
Robert
I bought the Rutland one last August. I have nothing much to compare it to, as it's my first one. Seems to work really well. Downsides (which I guess would be the same with any respirator) are that the visor attracts the dust, and that it can feel a bit restrictive. I have a beard & glasses and it works well with both. Biggest challenge is remembering to use it.

I see that Rutland have just released a consumable kit with 3 replacement visors and all the filters for the same price as a set of 3 visors (£35 currently).

Definitely gets my upvote.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
I bought the Rutland one last August. I have nothing much to compare it to, as it's my first one. Seems to work really well. Downsides (which I guess would be the same with any respirator) are that the visor attracts the dust, and that it can feel a bit restrictive. I have a beard & glasses and it works well with both. Biggest challenge is remembering to use it.

I see that Rutland have just released a consumable kit with 3 replacement visors and all the filters for the same price as a set of 3 visors (£35 currently).

Definitely gets my upvote.
Interesting - thanks Rob, I am seriously considering this as mentioned earlier in the thread.... How often do you get through consumables then? I'm surprised you'd need to replace the visor often, less so the filters but how often in your experience?

RobR

First Name
Robert
Interesting - thanks Rob, I am seriously considering this as mentioned earlier in the thread.... How often do you get through consumables then? I'm surprised you'd need to replace the visor often, less so the filters but how often in your experience?
I haven't replaced mine yet, although I have knocked the dust out of them. There is a gadget supplied to check the airflow, and mine still seems to be good.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks Kelvin, great write up and lots of information there.

There is another one and that’s the 3M airshield Pro, it’s what I have as I had one for work when I was in full time employment.

Link below to its spec, yes they are expensive but TBH I have never looked back since having it. I can even use CA when using the specific filter, it cuts out fumes really well.

Link to the unit, if you search around you can get them 2nd hand at reasonable price.

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Thanks Kelvin, great write up and lots of information there.

There is another one and that’s the 3M airshield Pro, it’s what I have as I had one for work when I was in full time employment.

Link below to its spec, yes they are expensive but TBH I have never looked back since having it. I can even use CA when using the specific filter, it cuts out fumes really well.

Link to the unit, if you search around you can get them 2nd hand at reasonable price.

Hi Eamonn,
If you are referring to the 3M Versaflo TR-3802E particulate & nuisance organic vapour filter, then they are only for protection from dust, mist and nuisance level organic vapours.
Organic vapours typically refer to liquids that are petroleum based (from organic carbon) evaporate quickly (creating vapours.) Products like turpentine, gasoline, paint thinner, urethanes and solvent based epoxy all will give off organic vapours in varying amounts.
And don't forget, CA glue uses air moisture to set.
Can't find any VOC reference to cyanoacrylate glue!
Just saying.
Kelvin

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Hi Eamonn,
If you are referring to the 3M Versaflo TR-3802E particulate & nuisance organic vapour filter, then they are only for protection from dust, mist and nuisance level organic vapours.
Organic vapours typically refer to liquids that are petroleum based (from organic carbon) evaporate quickly (creating vapours.) Products like turpentine, gasoline, paint thinner, urethanes and solvent based epoxy all will give off organic vapours in varying amounts.
And don't forget, CA glue uses air moisture to set.
Can't find any VOC reference to cyanoacrylate glue!
Just saying.
Kelvin

Yes I agree with you on that one.
Mine is the 6820 filter which is for organic vapours, they are just over £60 per filter but have a good shelf life if looked after.
I agree with the CA being air/moisture set and with the above filter can use it with no adverse reactions, again though I prefer not to use the PPE at all and avoid using CA full stop.

Part of my methodology has always been remove the risk rather than put PPE on, like using drones to enter a confined space rather than sending a person in. Always look at the elimination of the risk first.

The 3M units for me are the best you can get, and the weight is distributed around the waist and not all on the head unit. Having trapped nerves in the neck and back I needed something smaller and lighter.

Edit, link added..

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Yes I agree with you on that one.
Mine is the 6820 filter which is for organic vapours, they are just over £60 per filter but have a good shelf life if looked after.
I agree with the CA being air/moisture set and with the above filter can use it with no adverse reactions, again though I prefer not to use the PPE at all and avoid using CA full stop.

Part of my methodology has always been remove the risk rather than put PPE on, like using drones to enter a confined space rather than sending a person in. Always look at the elimination of the risk first.

The 3M units for me are the best you can get, and the weight is distributed around the waist and not all on the head unit. Having trapped nerves in the neck and back I needed something smaller and lighter.

Edit, link added..

I agree with the above Eamonn. The Rutland's PAPR weight is around the waist also.
Regards,
kelvin.

Padster

Graduate Member
First Name
Paddy
Hi All,

So I bit the bullet and also bought The Rutland PAPR.

I used it today for the first real time in anger and have to say I was very impressed, the weight is on the belt, but perfectly balanced, the controls are easy to use, it's easy to put on, and doesn't hinder any vision, I found it easy to breathe only need it on low, and a pleasure to come out of the workshop without a nose full of man glitter!

@pittswood & @RobR thanks for the input on this thread and helping me decide to finally dive in :rock:

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi Paddy,
Glad you like it, I do. Have used it all day and still have some 1/4 battery left. I've been busy with water piping problems, so today is the first time using it. I am impressed with it and its comfort, just a little noisy, but I can clear that up with some soft biking earplugs.
Kelvin