• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A couple of Mistrals

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've finally found a bit of time (and courage) to make up a couple of Mistrals. One was part of my prize from the December competition - thanks Phil!

Both in self cast polyurethane resin. I know they're probably a bit on the girly side for most of you macho guys, but almost all of my customers are female :winking:

DSCF8604.jpg
DSCF8609.jpg

DSCF8613.jpg
DSCF8618.jpg

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
Looks like you have more pen kits coming, having won the pen of the week again. Congratulations.
They look really good, female customers are customers, and they have there own preferences.
Cant see a camo Mistral appealing to them, unless there into guns.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The casts are great:thumbs:Lovely pens.

Peter

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
I think those are lovely Melanie, nothing wrong with pink if that is what the customer wants and they are beautiful blanks.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Great job Melanie. I love the second one especially - it goes particularly well with the rhodium from where I'm sitting.

Get a bit more assertive with the cabochons though - don't be afraid if applying a wee bit more pressure with your pen press. They will go all the way in to sit flush with the top of the cap finial - you have them sitting proud at the moment.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Phil, I was wondering about the cabochons...I have also made one with the black titanium cabochon, and that went all the way in with no problem...however, these rhodium ones don't seem to want to budge though. I have put them in a vice and put about as much pressure on them as I dare (proper pressure, not wimpy girl pressure), and this is all the way they will go in?

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
I think they look really good and you know your market very well.

I did have a similar issue with the only Mistral ( which was also Rhodium )I have got around to making and that really did need a bit of pressure to put it in - it went in with a loud click.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Hi Phil, I was wondering about the cabochons...I have also made one with the black titanium cabochon, and that went all the way in with no problem...however, these rhodium ones don't seem to want to budge though. I have put them in a vice and put about as much pressure on them as I dare (proper pressure, not wimpy girl pressure), and this is all the way they will go in?

I've just has a measure up with my verniers. The nominal sizes vary by the smallest fraction of a millimeter because of the differences in thickness between the various types of plating, but as far as rhodium components and rhodium accents are concerned they are as follows on the one I've just measured.

On the finial (female) - wide opening: i/d = 8.65, small opening: i/d = 4.99
On the cabochon (male) - visible cabochon: o/d = 8.53, locating shank: o/d 5.03

That is as it should be, the stalk being the part that holds it in place by compression, the visible plate being designed to sit in the recess but indiscernibly just not touch the sides.

I'm not sure why you may be experiencing the problem Mel, but it may pay you to carefully knock out the cabochons and just double check that nothing has got a burr on it or has become distorted. You could run a 5mm drill through the small hole too, to see if that might help, and/or a fine file around the locating shank. Run-out on your drill will probably make the hole larger than 5mm, but it won't harm if at the end of it the cabochon fits. A dab of glue will cure any resultant looseness.

Sorry you've got the problem Mel. They are not designed that way I promise, but they are a stiff fit I admit, because unlike compressing a component into a tube, where there is a bit of give, the cabochon compresses into solid brass, where there is very little give.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
That's OK Phil, after seeing Andy's post above, I decided to give them another go and be a bit braver...they went in this time, so I must have been being a girly wimp before :winking:

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Couple of real corkers there Melanie :drool: I really like the blanks (my feminine side showing perhaps? :funny:)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).