• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A few more dip pens

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I've been busy recently (and have had more than my fair share of issues accessing the forum), so I haven't had much chance to get on here, but here are some of my latest turned penholders.

I originally cast the resin for my ergonomic pens, but thought I'd use a few of the blanks for turning. They're therefore shorter than I'd like (6 inch blanks), so I had to turn them between centres to try and preserve as much of the length as possible. They're oblique dip pens, used for holding the nib at an angle to make certain scripts easier, if anyone is wondering about the funny metal thing at the end!

DSCF8188.jpg
DSCF8232.jpg
DSCF8256.jpg
DSCF8245.jpg
DSCF8176.jpg

iandel

First Name
Ian
Very nice pens:thumbs: Calligraphy is one of my hobbies and although I use dip pens I haven't made one yet. My pens are coming on for 35 years old and some of the nibs are pretty old too!

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Ian and John, thanks very much!

Ian, you should make one! I have a large collection of vintage nibs, many of them over 100 years old, they're generally much better than modern nibs.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
These are beauties Melanie. Nowt much wrong with your turning. The seem to have a pleasing shape & a good finish.:thumbs:

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Gorgeous. Love everyone of them. My wife wants a pen making out of one of these blanks

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Graham, Simon, thanks very much.

Simon, I still owe you a couple of metal flanges....I've been so busy over the past couple of weeks that they totally slipped my mind. I'm not sure that you could make a 'normal' pen out of these resins - part of the beauty of them is the depth that's created and in some places you can see right into the centre of them...I think that would all be lost on kit pens I had actually thought about making some blanks to sell, but figured that there wouldn't really be a market for them because of this.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Thanks Angelo. Yes, all hand cast. Going to try casting with some different colours tomorrow.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Beautiful casting and designs Melanie, to be admired. Love the rounded end I guess I was always on edge with six young hopefuls ready to perform unspeakable things with sharp topped pens in our house. Exceptional work there indeed.

Kind regards Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The video sure opened up the discussion in our house my wife was at 15 yrs old a ticket writer, window dresser,an accomplished artist she was awarded a position in Sydney at the El Supremo East Sydney Tech to become and Art teacher we courted for three years at distance and later on she turned to designing, making quilts by hand.

She use pens and brushes for the tickets. Every item in the big store had to have a price displayed, there was a staff of four employed for this purpose.

SWMBO was quite impressed remarking on the Video it was pleasing to be able to easily read the lettering sometimes people dissapear into another world when doing this and lose objectivity. She says thanks to you Melanie. Whilst in Ireland I was dumbfounded by viewing the Book Of Kells.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).