• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A New Newbie!

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Roy, you have chosen the exact road that i took, bought a lathe then decided that a few lessons would help, never looked back .. :bwink:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Welcome , I have the 12-18 and it's done me OK for now. Some people on here may say otherwise :funny:

The only advice I'd give is if you can then try organise a lesson or 2 with someone local that will help you with tool control it will be time well spent and will stop you making frustrating mistakes.

Other than that get used to hiding your credit card bills from sig other, it reduces the ear damage :funny:

johnny5

Registered
Welcome Roy, enjoy youre new hobby, i like you often buy on whim , but this hobby is the best whim i ever had :wink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Roy I seem to be the exception having made my first lathe sure taught me to appreciate a decent bought one but learned a lot having to investigate every function on the way, then the best help while helping others was joining my wood group and having a ball with them in the 80,s. I hve so many memories of having to line up in the 40,s at school to get a few minutes on the wood and metal lathes at school.

Have a go mate be careful they can bite.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Paul

Fellow
Welcome. Don't negate your health and safety. Glasses / shield mask and extraction. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Welcome aboard Roy, I haven't been long here myself & started from a similar position to you about 4 weeks ago

Any problems just ask, no don't ask me, the others on here, they may be a little on the insane side but they will have the answers :winking:

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Thanks for all your comments and welcome msgs,
Well my new lathe was delivered all complete at 5:15pm weighing in at a healthy 40kg, Owner and Lathe are well however owner is laid up as needed stiches during delivery,( he strained his back trying to lift it out the box then fell over the pallet ) is this an Oman???? and should I be allowed to handle sharp chisels???

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks for all your comments and welcome msgs,
Well my new lathe was delivered all complete at 5:15pm weighing in at a healthy 40kg, Owner and Lathe are well however owner is laid up as needed stiches during delivery,( he strained his back trying to lift it out the box then fell over the pallet ) is this an Oman???? and should I be allowed to handle sharp chisels???

Oh you are gonna fit in soooooooooooooooooooooo well round here mate !

Terry ! New member for the Plonker Club and he hasn't even made a shaving yet, now that must be a record.

Seriously though, hope you're better soon and please do take lots of pics of your progress, we like pics here.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's a Brahma Roy hope your not too badly injured and can spin it up.
I would suggest for you goggles, gloves, hard hat and toe tectors while in the setup process.
Remove the gloves before going anywhere near a spinning object and have fun.
Oh yes and the camera, don't forget the pics, no pics it didn't happen is a motto on here.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Well Roy that's the initiation over with ...welcome to the world of turning ...get well soon, Plonker.:fart:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
So now you've got your lathe and earned a nickname (Dangerous), I hope you recover soon, don your chainmail and start turning.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).