• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A pleasant afternoon discussing pen making for a project

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Last week I received an email from a Lincoln University Student who is doing a degree in "Graphic Design" Ash, asked if he could interview me with regards to my pen making. His project required that he look into the deeds of "A Maker" and having looked via goggle at various makers he found my website, hence the email to me.

This project and a young person who wants to know about pen turning interested me and we agreed that he would come around on Saturday afternoon, yesterday.

We spent the afternoon looking at how I go about making a pen from start to finish, I demonstrated this with a running commentary on what & why I was doing things in the workshop, I made a Tempest with gunmetal hardware and it was to be dressed in olivewood.

Questions followed on how and why I got into pen turning, how & why I source materials, selling, promoting pens sales and why i turn different ranges. This took us from the workshop & onto my photo studio & craft stall.

Altogether an enjoyable afternoon, I got o talk about and demonstrate our wonderful craft, hopefully Ash got enough info for his project & he also went away with the finished pen as a memento of what pen turning is about. Ash may never turn a pen but hopefully he will help let other people know what we do.

Its also a nice thing to know that there are young people out there that in the future will be able to build towards a better world, good luck with your degree Ash.:thinks:

The photos shown are the pen made & taken away as a memento of the afternoon, part of my craft display & my small photo booth for object photography. I may in the future have some media from the demonstration.

29678.jpg
29679.jpg29680.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Did you show him your trains Billy? Way to go mate such a detailed explanation covering from go to whoe was a rare privilige including the takeaway of the exciting Olive wood pen. By the way show us your photo set up mate we have done many a series on these in the past.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).