• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Advice for filling voids / making blanks

hobbymad

Apprentice Member
First Name
Rob
Hi all, thus far I have been using ready made blanks, but just got hold of my first small slab. It's a beautiful burl wood, from the Ceylon Oak. I would like to process it down into blanks for small bowls and pens, but as you can see in the photo its full of cracks and holes and in some cases they go all the way through (kinda looks like brains ;) I was wondering what you would do in this situation? Cut the wood up, then individually seal each crack? Or leave it whole and pour some kind of filler over the whole thing or paint it into the cracks? What would be the best filler to use? Seems like it would eat up a ton of cyanoacrylate if I went that route! All advice greatly appreciated! Thanks.
burlwood.jpg

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Don't leave it whole and try to fill it, there will be more voids inside.

Bowl. leave them, they look cool on a finished bowl.

Pens, cut the blanks, drill as normal but don't use polyurethane glue to glue the tubes in or it will expand into the voids.
Go careful when turning them down until they are round, then you can start filling the voids as you go and keep turning them down. Again you will find more voids will appear and some you'' turn away

You can use CA or 2 part epoxy and colour it with mica etc, or you can use powder of any description.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
If I’m in that situation Rob when penturning I use CA glue and powdered aluminium or powdered brass to fill the holes. A really dark wood like bog oak can look quite spectacular with aluminium in it, looks like silver!

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
With Pen Blanks I use Cactus Juice and a Vacuum Chamber

Works a treat as it gets into all the tiny holes and dries clear so no messing with the finnish

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
With Pen Blanks I use Cactus Juice and a Vacuum Chamber

Works a treat as it gets into all the tiny holes and dries clear so no messing with the finnish
Colin

Might be my technique but I found the juice crystalized and left bubbles as I cured it in the oven after vacuum treatment.It does work really well at stabilizing soft or punky timber though ! That’s why I got it so cannot complain

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).