• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Aluminium in wood blanks - which glue ?

Anthraquinone

First Name
John
I have seen both CA and Epoxy used for laminating Al strips into wood pen blanks. Is one better than the other or is it just personal. I use CA to laminate HDPE into wood and that works well so I would be inclined to go with that unless people say epoxy is better.

AQ

Midnightlunchbox

Registered
First Name
Craig
CA is fine with timber, although I prefer titebond wood glue, strong as hell with greater pot life, but that's me. I'd go for epoxy if you are gluing timber to metal or plastic, I can't see CA adhering all that well. But others may disagree.

Jim

Grand Master
I use CA when segmenting the Ali from tin cans to wood, just score the Ali real good .. Not had any issues up to now ..

Anthraquinone

First Name
John
Thanks for the replies. So far it is 3 to 2 in favour of epoxy. The Al sheet I plan to use has just arrived in the post. I can see me trying both. I will let you know what happens.

AQ

Anthraquinone

First Name
John
Well the CA did not work well and the blank came apart when drilling but I was able to re-glue the parts using epoxy using the tube to align the parts. That turned OK. I found it quite difficult to get the blank smooth to the touch as the Al is much harder than the woods I was using. Still as a first go the final pen was not too bad.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Any heat will break the CA bond just as it will with epoxy. Make sure your drill bits are sharp and that you keep pulling the bit out to keep it cool, if you can't touch the end of the bit then it is too hot and will affect the bond.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Epoxy from me, but that is me..:face:

Any heat will break the CA bond just as it will with epoxy. Make sure your drill bits are sharp and that you keep pulling the bit out to keep it cool, if you can't touch the end of the bit then it is too hot and will affect the bond.

Peter

I agree with you there Peter.
This is the most common fault in anyone drilling any non ferous metals bonded with wood. They think it's the glue when in reality it's the heat most of the time..

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).