• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Am I right or wrong,

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Do you know better. You can get parker type refills, parker type gel and parker type soft & smooth and yet for slimline just standard bog standard refills.

Glen:face:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
It's market driven Glen. Very few commercial pens use the cross type - Cross do of course, and pen kit manufacturers and turners seem to regard slimlines as entry level kits - wrongly in my opinion as there are actually some pretty nice ones out there apart from the cheap Chinese kits. But those people who ask where is the cheapest place to get pen kits, instead of asking where is the best place to get pen kits, are unlikely to wish to to upgrade to a Cross type Soft & Smooth. I'm happy to make you some Cross style Soft & Smooths or Gels if you wish, but your problem is going to be making the 20,000 slimlines you'll need to take them.

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Thanks Phil.

Well that has answered my question, I don't think I will be taking you up on your offer. I asked this question because last week end at a craft fair I did a survey to see the reaction of people using a Gel Pen. Only 2 people didn't like how they wrote, some didn't like the Sierra and said they much preferred the all wood slimline, hence the question.

Glen

Forgot to ask. Is there an all wood pen kit that could be used with the Gel etc refill.

Last edited:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Any pen kit can be turned using wood Glen, and more or less every ballpoint kit out there that isn't a slimline or streamline will take a Parker type refill. Therefore almost all ballpoint pen kits that are not slim line or streamline will take a Parker style gel refill. Here's a link if you want to have a look at them. The geometry is no different to a standard ink Parker style refill - it's just the ink inside that is different, and the mechanics by which the ball and tip dispense it.

Parker style gel ink ballpoint refills from Beaufort Ink

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Any pen kit can be turned using wood Glen, and more or less every ballpoint kit out there that isn't a slimline or streamline will take a Parker type refill. Therefore almost all ballpoint pen kits that are not slim line or streamline will take a Parker style gel refill. Here's a link if you want to have a look at them. The geometry is no different to a standard ink Parker style refill - it's just the ink inside that is different, and the mechanics by which the ball and tip dispense it.

Parker style gel ink ballpoint refills from Beaufort Ink

Sage reply I find gel smudges. In spite of the overall sentiments I really like the fine line writing and longevity of cross style refills.

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Sage reply I find gel smudges. In spite of the overall sentiments I really like the fine line writing and longevity of cross style refills.

Peter.
Yes, it takes a bit longer to dry than a standard ballpoint ink, but that's because it's water based not solvent based. But gel ink has it's devotees, and Glen is discovering that it's easy to tap into that niche if they are offered as a choice at the point of sale. I use a gel ink on all my export customs forms for instance - because it writes much more easily on them than a standard ink. But give it 5 seconds and it's dry. You wouldn't expect a fountain pen ink to be dry straight off the nib, and the same goes for gel ink, (although gel is much quicker than FP ink)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Yes, it takes a bit longer to dry than a standard ballpoint ink, but that's because it's water based not solvent based. But gel ink has it's devotees, and Glen is discovering that it's easy to tap into that niche if they are offered as a choice at the point of sale. I use a gel ink on all my export customs forms for instance - because it writes much more easily on them than a standard ink. But give it 5 seconds and it's dry. You wouldn't expect a fountain pen ink to be dry straight off the nib, and the same goes for gel ink, (although gel is much quicker than FP ink)

Hi Phil glad devotees exist for everything,as a devotee I stated my reasons thanks for enlarging onwhat I said the 5 second rule you mentioned was not in evidence for me using a gel fill.. Yes I like gel but it lays down too wet for me.As a word to the original statement refills for Slimlines exist in various standards and width of writing, the balls used and quality. I honour the work, effort and direct result of the exclusive Parker style refills you sell and promote.

Peter.

As an aside whatever pen and purpose the American President uses it lays down a wide line much like a felt tip.Enough to clearly see his signature at a distance.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I'm happy to make you some Cross style Soft & Smooths or Gels if you wish, but your problem is going to be making the 20,000 slimlines you'll need to take them.

Thanks Phil.

Well that has answered my question, I don't think I will be taking you up on your offer. .

Why not it will keep you occupied in the coming freezing cold months.:ciggrin::ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).