• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

An Omega by any other name.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Last week I sold an TM Omega Rollerball on E bay, yesterday, Friday I received a message From the buyer asking could I authenticate that it was an Omega because there was no makers stamp on the pen. I explained that Omega was the name given to the pen kit by Taylor's Mirfield where I bought the kit from, I also told the buyer that for conveyance I described the pen as an Omega, but I could have called the pen any other name of my choice. The buyer then wrote back and thanked me for my explanation but He was disappointed by my misleading him into thinking that he was buying an Omega made pen. Therefore he would like to return the pen for a full refund. I refunded him immediately and asked him to forgive me for my ignorance, I also told him that I would not name my pens in the description again.
I would like to know other members thoughts on this. :thinks::thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Having a quick look at the pens sold as Omega on eBay I quickly saw one for £25.00 which is a Taylor Mirsfield kit pen Access Denied and one for £85.00 which appears to be a genuine Omega Pen Access Denied . I don't think you are doing yourself any favours by explaining that yours is a kit pen nor by selling on eBay.

You have every right to sell it as an Omega pen as that is what the kit was named by Dan, if the Omega company doesn't like it they can always seek legal redress, but I personally never use the names provided by the seller and so never end up in that situation. You have to protect yourself from anything that could be misleading although a quick look at the difference in prices and the lack of Tags should have alerted the buyer that it wasn't what he was after. I don't know what you sold yours for, but the there is now way on earth I would sell one for £25.00.

You have gained experience and I doubt you will be in that situation again. Good luck.

Peter

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
There are a few threads on the issue of names, selling on eBay etc. I think the received wisdom is don't sell on eBay, don't under price and choose your own names for the pens :banana:

It's a bit of a minefield :sob: but you've learned a lesson, time to move on :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I had another look at eBay and the seller I had a link for in my first post had tons of pens on eBay that didn't sell, even worse was the prices of some that did sell, £3.99 including postage for a European and even some with Celtic knots up for £3.99 inc. postage that didn't sell Access Denied not a great market place.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
When I buy a motor car the first thing I go is remove all vestiges of the seller ie number plates with the sellers name inset, advertising of any description. When I buy a pen kit it becomes anonymous except on the forum. A customer or receiver of a pen then gets to look at a finished product without predudices.I have never ever had anyone say is this a Slimline or a Cigar etc.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the real world this is what all makers artists and professionals face. By this I mean we all set our own standards and prices, have no control nor should we over others. All of us on this forum and others when we see collusion in selling to get a top price call out unfair practice. The way we seek out bargains ourselves,I rest my case.In the real world its called shopping.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).