• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another Casting

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thats the secret and mystery. When you can buy cast blanks consistent in most ways it would appear the way to travel. Not sure if this is three blanks or one, more information is needed. Oh how I like timber where variations are welcome and expected.

Peter.

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
''Not sure if this is three blanks or one''

Sorry Peter, this is one blank.

''Oh how I like timber where variations are welcome and expected.''

You're right about that. I have plenty of timber, but once in a while I go plastic.
I had a half gallon of resin go bad on me, probably sitting on the shelf for 2 years.
I'm trying to get the most out of this new gallon.

Freck Fraser

Graduate Member
First Name
Freck
I like it Angelo, some of the best things aren't uniform.
How do you mix the colours once in the mold, with a cocktail stick or similiar??

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
''Not sure if this is three blanks or one''

Sorry Peter, this is one blank.

''Oh how I like timber where variations are welcome and expected.''

You're right about that. I have plenty of timber, but once in a while I go plastic.
I had a half gallon of resin go bad on me, probably sitting on the shelf for 2 years.
I'm trying to get the most out of this new gallon.

Thanks Angelo I understand the spoiling thing static turning has cost me dearly in consumables. The centre pic is beautiful.

Peter.

angelo49

Registered
First Name
Angelo
''I like it Angelo, some of the best things aren't uniform.
How do you mix the colours once in the mold, with a cocktail stick or similiar??''

Freck,
I have a mould 6'' x 3'' x 7/8''---that takes about 8oz. resin.
I put about 3oz resin in three four oz cups and color each one differently.
I've been pouring squiggly lines of one color (don't disturb the lines) then the next color squiggled over that one.
Do this one color at a time until you fill up the form.
Then I pass a stick a couple of times through it, not too much or the colors will mix into
probably some wierd looking hue.
Oh, don't forget the hardener:whistling: I found that a half tsp. is perfect for 3-4oz poly resin
I'm thinking that the white settled to the bottom of the mould. Maybe too much coloring made it
a little heavier tha the other two colors???
Hope I explained this OK.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's a lovely blank:thumbs:

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).