• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another Doorstop?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
This is the Atlas Pillar Drill I have had sitting on the garage floor ever since I got it from a friend, I paid £30 for it and it also came with a really nice machine vice. I was cleaning it up today and the spring to hold the quill up snapped, I think I put too much pressure on it not knowing what I was doing, but I managed to reconnect the spring and it is working perfectly. I was surprised at how quiet it runs, I used to have a small Clarke pillar drill and that was as noisy as hell. There seems to be something missing which I think is some kind of cam to lock the quill at a certain depth, maybe it is a mill/drill. It was too heavy for me to lift onto the workmate by myself, so had to wait for a mate to come and help.

Peter

VIS_0106.jpg
VIS_0107.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Like the raise and lower mech it is impressive in many ways with that sturdy stem, they knew how to build them then. OH&S needed around the belt drive, easily made to conform.

Peter.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Made in the days when common sense told you not to put your finger in moving belts.

Wish you were closer, I would love that in my shed.:thumbs:

You could always have a courier pick it up:thumbs: I had an email from someone on eBay asking if his courier could pick it up as I have it on for collection only and I said if they can pack it or pick it up as it is then fine, but I can't lift it, never mind pack it.

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I can remember using one of those just a few years ago love it I'm sure it will sell Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I can remember using one of those just a few years ago love it I'm sure it will sell Peter

I just wish I had the space to have set it up and used it, I have found a manual for a different model that shows the quill locking mechanism is missing, but it is such a simple mechanism that I would have made one myself if I was keeping it. I can't find an image that shows me which model this one is, with the cranked head lifting mechanism.

Peter

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Nothing like old iron. This is a beautiful tool. I am fortunate enough to own a 16" jointer about 100 years old. I bought it for $300 and added a 5hp motor. Been using it for close to 20 years. It will remove 1/4" across a 12 inch board and not slow down.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The drill sold on ebay for £102 a bit less than I was told it was worth, but it's better than a kick up the arris, as long as the buyer comes to pick it up. That's another lump that will free up some space in the garage and the money will go towards extras or an upgrade on the mill when I finally get the space to put it in.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).