• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Anyone else having problems accessing the site?

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Every now and again I'm getting timeout errors when trying to access the forum - I've only just been able to access the site today after several days of having no access. It also happened a week, or so, ago. It appears to either be an issue with my router, or my ISP (talktalk), as I can't access it from any of my devices at home. I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced similar issues? :vangry:

cookie21

First Name
Barry
I had that problem about a week ago, for about two days, I thought the site was down, when I got the connection back I could see others had posted in that time, so I still don't really know the cause

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
When that happens try rebooting your router.

Peter

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I've got issues replying to private messages. Keep getting error messages. Gonna give it one more got tonight and try tomorrow if it doesn't work :rolling:

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
I had that problem about a week ago, for about two days, I thought the site was down, when I got the connection back I could see others had posted in that time, so I still don't really know the cause

Barry, who is your ISP? I'm wondering whether it is an ISP issue.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Thanks Peter, I tried rebooting my router several times, as well as changing my DNS server, but nothing worked. Then it just came back all by itself today...

Chas, yes, private messaging was down a little earlier for me too, seems to be working now though.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Melanie time out errors always on this site never on the others I use. Spent heaps of time sorting with Telstra they have helped but never cured the problem, sometimes the reboot of the Modem works'

Other problems have chimed in while using the forum, a recent one turned out in my pixel reduction unit. I have spoken to Phil who assures me its OK up his end.

Peter.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Seems like a widespread problem, we went for a while earlier without any posts for quite a while.

I know BT have been having server problems with their e-mail servers but whether that is related or just coincidence I have no idea.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Yes, I tried to post earlier and kept getting an error message. It resolved itself around the same time as the private messaging started working again, so I assume they were connected. I'm not sure whether that is a related issue to the issues I've had accessing the site, I'm thinking that they're probably separate issues, but could be wrong.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Same here. This is the message I got trying to post a thread,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function parse_video_bbcode() in /home/slug1960/public_html/includes/class_dm.php on line 1541

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Seems like a widespread problem, we went for a while earlier without any posts for quite a while.

I know BT have been having server problems with their e-mail servers but whether that is related or just coincidence I have no idea.

My BT has been fine otherwise Walter as during the problems I received and sent emails and visited and posted on UKW

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Same here. This is the message I got trying to post a thread,

Fatal error: Call to undefined function parse_video_bbcode() in /home/slug1960/public_html/includes/class_dm.php on line 1541

That looks much more like a problem with the forum software. It might help Phil to locate the source of the problem if the text of any error messages could be posted to this thread.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
There seem to be two problems here, the cause of which may be the same or may be different.

One problem seems to affect different people on an individual basis, and even then only occasionally - that is the time out problem. It is a mystery why this should happen, and may be to do with ISP's. However, there is a possibilty that the ISPs have a problem with the forum from time to time because of perhaps some error deep within it. Rest assured I am aware that it IS an issue from time to time, and continue to investigate. It is worth pointing out though, that those who have reported the time out issue when trying to access the forum via a router, are always able to access the forum on a smartphone using a 3g or 4g signal. This serves as proof enough that the forum is always up and running. and that the time out is not because the forum has gone down.

The error messages problem is caused by PHP issues. When the forum was moved to a different server back in September, there were a vast number of problems associated with the move, even to the point that the forum went offf line for two or three days. Over time, the PHP settings have gradually been tweaked in an effort to prevent these irritating errors from happening. I am fully able to correct any errors if they occur, once I am aware of the problem, but that is only firefighting. The PHP settings need the help of experts to assist, as that sort of thing is way beyond my own expetise. In the meantime, please bear with me as I continue to sort all these things out, but if you are aware of an error message that prevents you from doing what you were attempting, do let me know, and the moment I'm in front of my computer it can be corrected in seconds.

We'll get there in the end. Thanks for your forbearance.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
One more thing I thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else has also noticed it - sometimes when browsing the forum a timeout screen flashes up, and then the forum page appears, as if the page had just loaded in time. I assume this is connected with the timeout problems I've been having over the last few days.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).