• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Assorted pens

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Not sure where this belongs as I made 2 acrylic & 1 wooden pen & placed them in a natural-edged bowl for the pic. As there are 2 acrylic, I put the pic here. They are my first acrylic pens :-) I used wet n dry up to 2000 grade, then polished off with a brasso type polish (was in cupboard as I didn't have any T-Cut).

Are there any other ways to finish acrylic pens?

BTW the bowl was my first attempt, I know it is not great, but have to start somewhere :-)

Attachments

• some pens.jpg
    some pens.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 53

glenpen

Graduate Member
First Name
Glen
Acrylic Finish

Not sure where this belongs as I made 2 acrylic & 1 wooden pen & placed them in a natural-edged bowl for the pic. As there are 2 acrylic, I put the pic here. They are my first acrylic pens :-) I used wet n dry up to 2000 grade, then polished off with a brasso type polish (was in cupboard as I didn't have any T-Cut).

Are there any other ways to finish acrylic pens?

BTW the bowl was my first attempt, I know it is not great, but have to start somewhere :-)

Hi Mark
I sand down to about 1500 grade and then use Mantis Scratch Remover ( I use this on my caravan ) followed by Simoniz Original Wax Liquid.
Glen

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Progress Mark pens then the small bowl.

I use U Beaut Triple EEE and after Brasso for finishing as well as a plethora of other finishes depending on the type of Acrylic.

The finish on the bowl , shaping is beautiful. Pen finishes special. Good to see you turning both.

Thanks for sharing. Peter.

markmcg

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mark
Many thanks, will look at those options for acrylic....phew! so much to do, just not enough time in the day!

The bowl looks ok, but on closer examination, it clearly flattens out in bottom. I also wasn't sure how to 'reverse-chuck' it. I tried it on a set of Record jaws, but it wasn't very stable, so the bottom is a bit 'iffy' :-) I am working on another natural-edge bowl & am going to try and make a 'jam-chuck' to fit inside bowl...hopefully :-) have also ordered a conical (pointy) 'live' centre as the one that came with lathe is too 'fat'. :-|

Update: Have now got the wire burners from Turners-Retreat along with a few other 'goodies' :-)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).