• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Axminster pen vice mod

His Nibs

First Name
Richard
After seeing Mark (flexi) has recently acquired one, I thought I would share a modification I made to the one I have, this saves a lot of time and fiddling in adjusting the jaw width.
I have added an idler cog wheel from an Abu 7000 multiplier fishing reel.
Drill vice2.JPG
Drill vice.JPG
Richard

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I have one of these pen vices I used it once then put it back in its box. I have never used it since I use a set of pen jaws on the lathe.
For assembling my pens once the blank is turned and they are complete I use an Arbor re loading press normally used for assembling ammunition. It works a treat.

Last edited:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I can see that would save a lot of time Richard. I think I must be missing something though, as I can't remember the last time I had to alter mine - I just set it up years ago to open "jolly wide", and I've never had to touch it since. I think it takes something like 33mm across the diagional, and closes to nothing. The two rods either side prevent the vice from takng anything larger in any case, unless you chamfer the blank first. What am I missing?

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I can see that would save a lot of time Richard. I think I must be missing something though, as I can't remember the last time I had to alter mine - I just set it up years ago to open "jolly wide", and I've never had to touch it since. I think it takes something like 33mm across the diagional, and closes to nothing. The two rods either side prevent the vice from takng anything larger in any case, unless you chamfer the blank first. What am I missing?
Not sure Phil. I think the bit from the Abu reel has replaced the nut which appeared to serve no purpose other than to be extraordinarily irritating as it needed adjustment to allow the vice to fully close on a variety of width blanks. I think the reel bit is more finger friendly than the unnecessary nut??

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
A set of pen jaws is probably not a lot more expensive. Personally I would go with the pen jaws on the lathe.

His Nibs

First Name
Richard
A set of pen jaws is probably not a lot more expensive. Personally I would go with the pen jaws on the lathe.
Dave, I drill my blanks on the lathe as well. I only use the pen vice for barrel trimming on the pillar drill.
Richard

His Nibs

First Name
Richard
Not sure Phil. I think the bit from the Abu reel has replaced the nut which appeared to serve no purpose other than to be extraordinarily irritating as it needed adjustment to allow the vice to fully close on a variety of width blanks. I think the reel bit is more finger friendly than the unnecessary nut??
Neil. You are absolutely right. To lock down the over centre/toggle clamp handle you need to adjust the length of the threaded bar that sets the jaw width for different size blanks. The cog wheel is a very quick way of doing this instead of the irritating nut and is definitely more finger friendly.
Richard

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Richard, thanks, so you’ve taken apart what needs taking apart, removed the nut and then at a position that allows you full scope of the width of blanks, secured as a fixed entity the cog so moving the cog moves the thread in and out rather than locking it off. I have a variety of sea fishing reels that have served me well over the years so might just seek a part elsewhere! But a great mod. What did you fix the cod with?

His Nibs

First Name
Richard
Richard, thanks, so you’ve taken apart what needs taking apart, removed the nut and then at a position that allows you full scope of the width of blanks, secured as a fixed entity the cog so moving the cog moves the thread in and out rather than locking it off. I have a variety of sea fishing reels that have served me well over the years so might just seek a part elsewhere! But a great mod. What did you fix the cod with?
Neil, everything in your post is what I did. The cod/cog :shocking: I had lying around was a metal one, (they also make them in nylon). I drilled and tapped it and fixed to the threaded bar with loctite.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).