• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bolt action pen with Olive

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well done Lucy, that looks really good. I wished my first attempt looked that good..

You now have the bug,mile will never be the same again, I hope you realise there is no known cure.:funny:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
There's no turning back now Lucy!
Pen turning is a little addictive, isn't it?

If you ever get over York way, let me know. Always happy to help.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Take up Neils' offer if you can Lucy, he has some superb wood and is a great guy, (don't let his long locks put you off :whistling:).

I have a couple of colt drill bits and while others swear buy them, I tried a DeWalt extreme 7mm yesterday and IMO found it beat the colt hands down.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Take up Neils' offer if you can Lucy, he has some superb wood and is a great guy, (don't let his long locks put you off :whistling:).

I have a couple of colt drill bits and while others swear buy them, I tried a DeWalt extreme 7mm yesterday and IMO found it beat the colt hands down.
Plus one for Dealt Extreme 2 drills, I bought a set of metric bits.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Lucy

Apprentice Member
First Name
Lucy
There's no turning back now Lucy!
Pen turning is a little addictive, isn't it?

If you ever get over York way, let me know. Always happy to help.

I'll take you up on that offer, I'm a fan of York and this just gives me the perfect excuse to visit, you can't have enough pen blanks :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Lucy I have been using DeWalt Extreme 2 drill point drills for well over twenty years drilling slimlines I have managed many hundreds of clean entry/exits they are long lived and so economic for me I was buying them for 4 Dollars AU cheap as for real quality. Enjoy your drilling.

Peter.

Lucy

Apprentice Member
First Name
Lucy
Thanks for the advice regarding the drill bits, I've gone for the Dewalt as recommended and it has saved me a few quid :thumbs:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
That's a very nice first attempt Lucy. I use Colt drills mostly with no problem at all. I have a full set of the de Walt extreme drill & find the flutes snatch the blank & pull through if it is not well secured. My grandson has found the same problem using them in his joinery job.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
One huge help for me was drilling fifteen feet in the air tapping holes for 3/4 inch stainless steel bolts making a large car port even the larger DeWAlt extreme 2 drills held the start with their drill point and gave me some safety at this height only a few years ago. The posts were 3/8 steel six inch heavy duty steel. After 300 self drilling roofing screws it took me a couple of days to straighten up all that kneeling on the roof as well.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).