• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bowls and Boxes!

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Despite recent setbacks life must go on, well I hope it does this time or Ali will kill me!:funny:

Although I have not been able to get everything in place that I wanted as yet, the Atelier teaching space was set up for its first course.

A few pieces of kit had to be mounted on temporary stands for this one as I've not been allowed to do too much of late, but we will get there.

I have a few people lined up for simple pen turning tuition courses, but my first "student" is actually a very accomplished pen turner. Thursday and Friday this last week were spent in the very agreeable company of Mr. Billy Binns, who wished to dip a toe into the dark waters of Bowl and Box turning.
bb1_534x480.jpg

bb3_342x480.jpg

bb4_292x480.jpg

bb5_640x366.jpg

bb6_640x371.jpg

Apart from the courses I have some new magazine articles on the way, and will be launching the odd pen blank sale again soon. Loving working with wood for a living!:thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Great to see you at it neil mate, but don't overdo things. I'll try to get across to see you next month

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I spent, a very enjoyable couple of days with Neil up in the beautiful city of York learning new skills and techniques. With Neils vast knowledge of all things wood, teaching skills and easy paced day and the fact it was one to one training, hopefully, I will be able to return home to my workshop and put all he showed me to good use.

Gotta say I really must recommend Neil to anyone wanting to take their turning to the next level such as me, I've been wanting to move forward onto bowls boxes etc from doing just pens for ages, but not feeling confident enough to move on to them, but now........ thanks Neil (and of course Ali for the wonderful lunches)

I also of course came away with lots of blanks for bowls, boxes and of course pens and thats what its back to, pens, I got some beautiful Turkey Oak pen blanks (the larger bowl in the top in Neils photo is same wood) with a very nice looking grain pattern, watch this space for turkey oak pens.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Well done both, sounds like a fun time all round.

Great to see you up and running Neil, well maybe no running more shuffling, :whistling: but surely that's not a proper job, looks too enjoyable :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks:funny::funny::funny:

Looks like you came out on top Billy, hope you enjoy making bowl and boxes and next week I want to see a box with a thread on it:funny:. And by the sound of it you both had a great time.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).