• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cellulose paint pen

Firefrode

This was a project of which I had no idea of the problems I would encounter.
I started by creating blank of 12mm square. The cellulose paint was about 9mm so I glued the pieces to build up
then trimmed down on bandsaw.
Drilling had to be done in many bites as the heat generated softened the cellulos quickly.
Turning was done very gingerly as I got a bit ahead of myself and it delineated in seconds.
I ended up using my tungsten tips as they seemed to cope.
Sanding yet again created overheating problems and I tried wet and dry and it seemed to improve the sanding.
I finished of with polishing with T cut
Unfortunately I am not too happy with the final result as there are score marks and cross contamination of layers but
as a first attempt and a bit wiser I will try again

Fred

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
It looks a very interesting exercise. In some ways the turning marks add to the effect. I would never have thought of doing this. Impressive.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Excellent job of that, fit looks spot on, as you say you are not happy with the finish but I think it looks really good for a first attempt.

Look forward to the next "perfect one" of you then! No pressure:wink:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's coming along, when you have sorted the finish to how you like it, it should look great:thumbs:

Peter

Firefrode

Hi
Many tank's for all your comments - I have just made a set of blanks and will post as soon as
This one will be an Omega from TM

Regards
Fred

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Brilliant effect Fred shame that the finishing didn't quite make your expectations, better luck with the next one ..should look outstanding if you can just perfect it.:drool:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).