• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Clarke CWL6 Lathe

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
Hi i have recently bought a CWL6 lathe from ebay. It comes with a live and dead center, i was wondering if anyone else has one of these lathes and can help me

i am looking to get a 3 jaw chuck for it, but it has a 3/4UNC thread on the spindle. i have contacted Clarke and they do not make any chucks for this model and then have even stopped making a spindle which i could of fitted

i have found an adapter on ebay from america (Lathe Spindle Adapter 6 Sizes Fit Most Chucks 3/4x16 3/4x10 1x8 1-1/4x8 1-1/2x8 | eBay) but i was wondering where to get a chuck that will fit this adapter as i presume not all chucks are standard.

my other option is to find someone who can make something similar to above but instead of a male thread put a 60 degree taper on it and i turn between center

what is everyones preference turning between centers or on a mandrel

sorry for all the questions just i am new and would love help to get my first pen made

TIA Ste

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
If I remember the head stock is MT1 so you could get a Mandrel to fit it.

However you have the necessary bits already to start turning to why pod out on a chuck when you can spend it on kits...

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Choose a small chuck or better still collet chuck do not buy it but consult an engineering establishment or knowledgeable member of the forum and get what you want madefirst.

Peter.:thumbs:

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
You have my deepest sympathy.

i am begining to think that now aswell lol should of bought a more expensive one, if only i could of afforded it

i have look at the insides of the head stock and the spindle goes all the way through to the pulley system that turns it how will i find out if it is a MT1

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
Record lathes are 3/4" x 16 TPI so I suspect there must be chucks to suit.

the lathe that i have got is an early model and it comes with a 3/4" UNC thread on the end with is 3/4" x 10 TPI which is my problem lol

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
i have look at the insides of the head stock and the spindle goes all the way through to the pulley system that turns it how will i find out if it is a MT1

I think you will waste your time looking, it is a solid bar spindle on your model with no taper.
If you need a chuck, a face plate with chuck mounted is your best option.
You have a throw away lathe I am sorry to say, there are options but they are all a waste of money.
Use it till it dies or for practice until you get confident and competent, or convert it to a buffing / grinding station and get another lathe.

If you fancy a trip to Stevenage, I have tidied my shed today and relegated the old Charnwood to under bench status, too good to throw out and not good enuff to make my fortune so it's going begging init?
Have a play with my stuff and a chinwag, beer, tea, coffee or whatever takes your fancy within reason

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Nobody has asked the question - is there any particular reason why you want a 3 jaw chuck and not a 4 jaw? Am I missing something here?

Jim

Grand Master
If you can get to Stevenage Ste, and see our resident Grumps, you will find he is very knowledgeable and not grumpy at all .. :thumbs:

Nobody has asked the question - is there any particular reason why you want a 3 jaw chuck and not a 4 jaw? Am I missing something here?

I would think it is a four one he is after Phil .. :thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I think he just wants a chuck but it is presenting a problem, and will do.
My grandson rescued one of these things from a skip and we did get him kitted out but it soon went to another mug and we got him a better lathe.
I had money and a factory with a steelworks next door so it was easy to sort him out in those days but it was good money turned bad straight away.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am thinking share your thoughts one to one seeing is believing mate at this stage there is no way after the event but to either face up or suffer.Hope you solve the probs rang my mate yesterday and he had to change directions as I said to him and I believe it we dont have problems only solutions.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

ste297

Apprentice Member
First Name
steven
thanks for all the advice. i wish i could get to stevenage but its a bit far. very nice of the offer tho grumps.

i was after for a 3 jaw to start with to make locating the mandrel alot easier then i would of changed to 4 jaw once i was set up.

i think i will turn between center to get the hang of it then upgrade to a better one when i got spare cash, any models i should be on the lookout for

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
I would suggest you use what you have till funds allow for an upgrade. We all started somewhere, and you will create something's to be proud of, and hopefully it will be a first step to doing a truly enjoyable hobby. There are woodturning clubs within reach of your location, I do not know owt about them, but I am sure they will be able to help and guide you in partnership with the forum members on here. I found one initially the Cheshire guild of Woodturners. Plummey village hall

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
i was after for a 3 jaw to start with to make locating the mandrel alot easier then i would of changed to 4 jaw once i was set up.

i think i will turn between center to get the hang of it then upgrade to a better one when i got spare cash, any models i should be on the lookout for

You seem, and I apologise if I am mistaken, to misunderstand the differences between types of chuck. Three jaws chucks are almost invariably engineering chucks and offer no advantage over four jaw chucks in a woodturning context. All woodturning chucks are four jawed self-centering chucks so I cannot see why you think a 3 jaw chuck would make locating the mandrel any easier than a four jaw.

Also, unless I am mistaken the "dead centre" supplied with your lathe is a four prong drive centre and not the 60° drive centre that would be required to turn pens between centres. If you are planning to turn pens between centres then you will not find that possible with a four prong centre.

Buying the adapter you linked to from the US would, once you have paid carriage charges and the additional VAT and handling charges that would be added by HMRC and the carrier, cost you more that your lathe is worth (scrap value even when it was new).

With respect, I suggest that you do some research into what you actually need to start woodturning and pen making before you make any more unfortunate purchasing errors. John's suggestion of joining a club is a fine idea and an inexpensive way of learning a great deal.

I don't ordinarily promote my own book but, in the interests of helping you I shall deviate from my self imposed constraint, I believe that buying a copy could save you a lot of unnecessary expense and frustration:

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Pen & Pencil Projects

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Steven, if you want to nip round to my place I'm home this weekend - Wrexham - and you could have a look at my lathes.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).