• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Cold snap expected

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Sunday's forecast is to be a high of -17C with wind chill -29C to -34C. Good thing I don't live further north as wind chills are expected to be as much as -48C. Thankfully it's supposed to be short period. I don't think I'll stick my nose out.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Not experiencing weather like that here but relatives in the middle 1800,s did having travelled from Scotland in 1841 1nd 1846, the Missisipi River was frozen over for several months on arrival for the first group heading into Illinois.

Their account was harrowing. I sympathise with you Terry. Stay safe.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Spent some time out of Edinborough where my name family lived late spring and near froze. I know why they Immigrated to Australia.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
It's relatively balmy in the Highlands this morning about 14C the worst I have had when we lived a bit higher near Tomatin was -28c don't know what the wind chill factor would have been. Interesting to hear about the trials of your forebears Peter folk were hardy in these days remember seeing a program about the Donner family pleased they did not have their fate.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
It's relatively balmy in the Highlands this morning about 14C the worst I have had when we lived a bit higher near Tomatin was -28c don't know what the wind chill factor would have been. Interesting to hear about the trials of your forebears Peter folk were hardy in these days remember seeing a program about the Donner family pleased they did not have their fate.

They travelled later and the aging Dad Died at Winter Quarters Nebraska the son was a well digger, built his own wagon,got a guy to do the Iron work. Half way across to Utah they ran out of money so he went back and dug a few more wells bought more Oxen and goods picked up the family carried on safely. No govt handouts those days for good reason they were called pioneers.

Two years ago our daughter who lives in Utah was approached by a bloke about my age (21 and a hellova lot of months) he said I am a cousin of yours from that family. Our daughter (in her late 50,s) heavily into family history has written several books and the latest one will include these people and my direct family who left Millerhill then nr Edinburgh in the 1840,s to come to Australia also pioneers when there was around 5000 people white ie in Australia.

My Dad was born in 1906 and his Dad in 1879 so the family memories go back to those early years real quick. There is a TV program over here called who do you think you are, amazing really.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Hi Peter very interesting history I used to be a very keen Radio Amatuer and worked stations from around the globe and Canada and USA had a big interest in geniology and it always amazed me how many folk decended from the people of the highland clearances and they would hear a Scottish station on and greet you in gaelic of which I am not fluent but know enough for saying hello etc. at the time a local speaker of gaelic said there was more gaelic spoken round Winipeg than the whole of the western Isles there are still valleys in the USA and Canada who still retain gaelic and have there highland games I think no matter where you go in the world you will find either a Scot or Irish person. We have that TV program here too and quite astounding the path families have taken.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Another family left in the 1740,s about the man headhunted to be the President of a main university near New York City, he became a member of the Legislature and became the 42nd signer of The Declaration Of Independance, he was violently opposed to the British as a Scot Minister of The Free Church he had been imprisoned in his own Country for a time, then facing the disaster over there. He helped draft the Constitution. Captn G from the IAP using a beautiful piece of timber Laser cut from a Faximile two copies of The Declaration Of Independance, one for our family history oriented daughter living in Utah as a Teacher for 16 yrs now. She lives two hours out from the greatest collection of material for research in the world. From Ireland during the famine another relative a cousin Immigrated in the 1800,s also. Wilmas heritage is very early in the 1800,s from Enniskillen Ireland and the South of England as recently as her Grandfather, on my mums side from Cornwall also Immigrants, my Dad used to say of them nought so sombre as a Cornish Stonemason. Our daughter and me between us have visited many of these places to see for ourselves the beautiful countries where they lived.Ongoing.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).