• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Completely off the subject of woodworking

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
Some of you are aware that I have a fairly large piece of land (14 acres) of which some 11 is grass and the rest is scruffy woodland. In order to maintain it I have a medium sized 45hp horse tractor, a ride on mower, and this is in addition to the car, my wife's car and other battery started things. All in all battery replacements cost a fortune and when the tractor battery (12v 120 amp hours) started to get a bit iffy (replacement 250€) I looked around for something decent to charge it because I saw that the ordinary LIDL cheap charger wasn't quite getting there. Some motor biking friends pointed me in this direction OptiMate 6 ampmatic 12V: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors . Well talk about a change to the big batteries, cars tractors etc. The only word of caution is that whilst this is supposed to be able to charge motorbikes as well it is really designed for the big batteries, however its smaller brother the optimate 4 is great for the smaller batteries for lawnmowers bikes etc. ( OptiMate 4 Battery charger and conditioner: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike )

The nice thing is that you can leave it plugged in over winter and I have now recovered 2 batteries that I was going to throw on the tip one of which had been lying in my scrap pile for over a year. The price may seem high but when you compare it to the price of a new 120 amp hour battery I have saved its cost on the first charge and recovery!! There is an optimate 5 but quite frankly for the difference in price its worth getting the larger one.

PG

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Used the optimates on my motorbikes and we have long cold winters up here and never had a problem always started when it was time for a ride.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
I keep my motorcycle and riding mower hooked up to a batter tender all winter. If I'm not riding the motorcycle in the summer for extended periods I use it then as well. Keeps the battery at its best charge.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks Pierre took steps to Buying one last night same price as on the net. I use two vehicles on and off looks like an answer to me.

Peter.

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
250€ is $352.66 AUD that's is expensive, the last battery I bought was a Cat battery 5 year warrantee $125.00.

Is the Optimate 6 battery charger a trickle charger.:thinks:

Well thats because you live in upside down country where the prices are inverted!! :winking:

Here is the blurb on the optimate, I don't profess to be a battery expert (don't forget that the definition of expert is that x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure!!) OptiMate 6 Battery Optimiser . Its more than a trickle charger since it desulphates the battery (which is why this version is not good for Li-Ion batteries, there is another one for that), then it charges in both low and high power pulses so I suppose at the end of the day its not a trickle charger.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Well thats because you live in upside down country where the prices are inverted!! :winking:

That Cat battery that is cheaper, is about the only thing I bought up here, that is cheaper than down south, every thing else we pay through the nose for. :sob:

Here is the blurb on the optimate, I don't profess to be a battery expert (don't forget that the definition of expert is that x is an unknown quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure!!) OptiMate 6 Battery Optimiser . Its more than a trickle charger since it desulphates the battery (which is why this version is not good for Li-Ion batteries, there is another one for that), then it charges in both low and high power pulses so I suppose at the end of the day its not a trickle charger.

Thanks for the explanation Pierre, I do have a trickle charger I used to use on my ute, but this sound like it would have been a better option.:thinks:

Thanks for the Aust link Peter.:thumbs:

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Thanks for a great post Pierre, just what my brother-in-law needs when he's out of the country for months on end. It will save us having to jump start his motor every time he comes back :thumbs:

And this from a pen-turning forum, lol

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).