• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Damascus Steel Art Deco Ballpoin Pen

johnny5

Registered
This Art Deco Ballpoint Pen was made using Damascus Steel.
First the Damascus steel was forged , folded and hammered over 500 times , then it was rolled to create the rod.
It was then cut , Drilled & turned using a 55 year old Myford ML7 Lathe
Then it was filed and polished before being soaked in Ferric Chloride and then neutralised in a Bicarbonate of Soda bath before assembling.

View attachment 30819View attachment 30820View attachment 30821View attachment 30822

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Nice story with the pen Johnny, the blank was definitely worth the effort. Loving the Damascus and I've always quite like the kits style but not so keen on the gold.

Where was the Damascus steel sourced from ?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Excellent pen, real courage to make and roll the blank, was it annealed at the finish? What is the pen like to hold? I looks as if to me the design of the kit toward the nib should be comfortable for the fingers. How much time was invested in the pen and how did you price it Johnny?

Peter.

johnny5

Registered
Just had a look on your site Thomas at the Jnr Majestic did you make that blank also in steel?

Peter.
yes peter from same rod of steel
just sold that pen this week , didn't advertise it , bought by someone who has bought off me before.
best price for a pen yet .
no price on this one yet

johnny5

Registered
Been deep reading on a supplier or two, not cheap and terrible on drills and cutting tools, so well done mate.

Peter.
i have been luck to find a fairly cheap supplier of good quality steel,
yes it does create a challenge but with right tools and practice it gets easier.
Should have seen my first attempt drilling without carbide bits and tools . :rolling:
It still has its issues but i enjoy the end result and what i achieved.:love_it:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Your first post made it sound like you had made the blank and I was impressed, but it is still impressive that you made such a great looking pen from that blank:thumbs:

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).