• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
So, some of you want uncensored, do you? If this ever happens on here then I'm gone. You've only got to visit virtually any unregulated social-media site to see what happens. Obscene, insulting, inane claptrap posted by morons who need to get a life! Don't agree? Then have a little trip over to YouTube (one of the best sites ever created) and see how a comparatively few posters manage to bring it down to the level of a bigoted pit of every type of harassment - sex -race-creed. plus every curse word under the sun. You name it, it's there.
I suggest that whatever started this upset on our great forum should now be forgotten. It all appears to be a storm in a teacup, made worse by the more members who join in. And if you don't like Management's decisions then think of the alternative - we WON'T have a forum!

Regards to all,
Bob.

That will never happen on this forum Bob and you know that, this forum has been the best one I have ever been part of but you must admit unless you are blind (and that is not a nasty quote) things have never been so bad here since a few months ago when all this harsh moderating started, quite a few members have left, I have no problem with Moderating but I do need to be able to defend myself, that is my last post on the subject and I am pleased that I have been able to let
Phil know this via a pm he made to me today...

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
this forum has been the best one I have ever been part of but you must admit unless you are blind (and that is not a nasty quote) things have never been so bad here since a few months ago when all this harsh moderating started
Thanks for responding to my PM Ted. I'm extremely pleased we have been able to clear the air.

I should say though, that since I took over the reigns from Jim in September, apart from removing the occasional double post or editing the odd expletive, and one post which I had to edit but now can't remember why, I haven't had to do any real moderating until this week. There has been no harsh moderating since I've been minding the cogs and wheels, in fact virtually no moderating at all. To everyone's credit, the place generally takes care of itself.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
* It's undeniable that the forum has changed but that's inevitable given the influx of new members with different ideas and imput. It's called evolution which some of us aren't keen on.

* No question that a number of long standing formerly active members have gone or visit only occasionally and of course that in itself affects the forum. I miss the likes of Brian, Terry, Paul and others.

* Changes in the moderating team, not only those recent, of course also changed some of the format, how could it not?

* Do I want the forum to be moderated? - Yes definitely otherwise it has the potential to fall to the low levels seen on the other forums.

* Am I happy with posts being deleted? - Yes but I feel that if deleting then it would be wise to post the reason for that in enough detail to be understood by all. As seen elsewhere and now on here it's an action that invariably causes offence to the OP and then reactions from others.

* Can we afford to lose members like Woody? - Hell no! :thinks: That is a huge loss to all on here, especially new members to whom he gives invaluable advice and help. His knowledge is priceless.

At least Phil and Walter have stuck their heads above the parapet to explain and nothing more can be asked of them apart from listening to the majority views which I'm certain they do already.

I've been on a number of forums where the abuse, language and highly insulting posts are tolerated and in some cases encouraged. Actions that if carried out in the street would lead to fisticuffs and police intervention. Places like UKW where the actions by only a few are allowed to get out of hand, sometimes a member banned but allowed straight back to do the same over and over. This forum is nothing like that and the day it ever became so, I would be one of the first to give up.

Let's act like the adults we are and be sensible. Poke fun as always, I'm as guilty as most but read it back before going public and consider "would I like that if on the receiving end?" and try to keep this incredible legacy of Jims on the right track!

Just my twopennerth!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Can I just say my decision to go has very little to do with the fact that some post were deleted this has been coming on for a while now and seeing how the deleted subject was dealt with helped me to make my mind up but its not responsible for my decision now I dont intend to do into details I have told Phil some of my reasons for going now it is up to him what he dose with that information but I will say I'm not alone in what I feel the decision wasn't taken lightly I have given it a lot of thought and decided it is in the best interest of the forum if I go before I get to the point were I start to blow my top which wouldnt be right nor do the forum any good in my opinion there are some who have a very bad attitude to what other people think and I for one dont like it may I add Vic my decision has nothing to do with you my friend I have always enjoyed your friendship and I am very sorry if my statement has upset you in any way I have already said more than I intended I just wanted to set the record straight Happy turning and God bless you all

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Woody,

Hopefully, when all this simmers down, you'll consider coming back and joining in again. It's blokes like you that I learned from (and I'm not the only one!) and if you're gone then your knowledge will go with you, matey.

Regards,
Bob.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
* It's undeniable that the forum has changed but that's inevitable given the influx of new members with different ideas and imput. It's called evolution which some of us aren't keen on.

* No question that a number of long standing formerly active members have gone or visit only occasionally and of course that in itself affects the forum. I miss the likes of Brian, Terry, Paul and others.

* Changes in the moderating team, not only those recent, of course also changed some of the format, how could it not?

* Do I want the forum to be moderated? - Yes definitely otherwise it has the potential to fall to the low levels seen on the other forums.

* Am I happy with posts being deleted? - Yes but I feel that if deleting then it would be wise to post the reason for that in enough detail to be understood by all. As seen elsewhere and now on here it's an action that invariably causes offence to the OP and then reactions from others.

* Can we afford to lose members like Woody? - Hell no! :thinks: That is a huge loss to all on here, especially new members to whom he gives invaluable advice and help. His knowledge is priceless.

At least Phil and Walter have stuck their heads above the parapet to explain and nothing more can be asked of them apart from listening to the majority views which I'm certain they do already.

I've been on a number of forums where the abuse, language and highly insulting posts are tolerated and in some cases encouraged. Actions that if carried out in the street would lead to fisticuffs and police intervention. Places like UKW where the actions by only a few are allowed to get out of hand, sometimes a member banned but allowed straight back to do the same over and over. This forum is nothing like that and the day it ever became so, I would be one of the first to give up.

Let's act like the adults we are and be sensible. Poke fun as always, I'm as guilty as most but read it back before going public and consider "would I like that if on the receiving end?" and try to keep this incredible legacy of Jims on the right track!

Just my twopennerth!

Just to let you know Bob that I haven't gone. Since I had the cancer I have been have been going on cruises as I intend to enjoy my life a bit more. Also my eyesight has been deteriorating this last year due to cataracts in both eyes. I had one eye operated on 2 weeks ago and I have a follow up appointment on the 31st of Jan and if all is okay then I will be pencilled in for the other eye. Whilst this is going on I cannot lift heavy items and dust is a no no so therefore shed work is out of the question. Hopefully when all this is over I will be turning again.
I look in on the forum everyday even though I may not be posting anything. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Let it be known to everyone, inside joking has been a part of this forum, a number of members have formed friendships by association meeting, dining having activities together. When the so called offensive hit the fan I had followed the comedy string indeed believing it was driven by association in fun with a new member and friends.

From what I have read gloves off.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Sorry, had to come in as I believe that we have all lost something here.

Do I support the action that was taken? Yes to right I do. Why? Because I put that trust in to the mods have the best interests in making sure the forum is kept going. Someone has to police it.

I can understand where Woody is coming from, however.. there always has to be one with me..:face:

As the great man says himself it's not just this one issue, it's the final straw that broke the donkeys back so to speak.

Disappointing as it is from a member that has put so much knowledge in to the forum and has attributed to so many of us on here. I personally have know Terry (woody) before this forum and have learnt many things from him much the same as many others have on here as well.

The fact that we all need a "woody" is important to making the forum great, how do we know that the new forum member that has not been on since wasn't another woody?

We all need to encourage the "woodys" to come out and we will all learn from them as well.

In all honesty I would like Woody to stay, but respect his wishes for leaving. If that's what he really wants then I support him.

What a lovely man and what a great loss to this forum! :pray:

I agree with you Ted, but what opportunities have we lost with the new member that has not bothered since? What could they have become?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Just to let you know Bob that I haven't gone. Since I had the cancer I have been have been going on cruises as I intend to enjoy my life a bit more. Also my eyesight has been deteriorating this last year due to cataracts in both eyes. I had one eye operated on 2 weeks ago and I have a follow up appointment on the 31st of Jan and if all is okay then I will be pencilled in for the other eye. Whilst this is going on I cannot lift heavy items and dust is a no no so therefore shed work is out of the question. Hopefully when all this is over I will be turning again.
I look in on the forum everyday even though I may not be posting anything. :thumbs:

Sorry to hear all your medical problems Terry, hope the other cataract will be done soon and you'll be back to normal, great to find you're still lurking around. I knew about one cruise last year (Carribbean?)

We're making the most of things as well while we can as well so going back to Canada in the summer for 5 weeks with the last one a week cruise from Vancouver along the inside passage to Alaska.
Never been on a cruise before and not really fancied it tbh as I don't like the thought of being on a boat with 2000 other people but got to do it if we want to see the sights. I know a seasoned cruiser like you is going to laugh at that! :ciggrin:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Sorry to hear all your medical problems Terry, hope the other cataract will be done soon and you'll be back to normal, great to find you're still lurking around. I knew about one cruise last year (Carribbean?)

We're making the most of things as well while we can as well so going back to Canada in the summer for 5 weeks with the last one a week cruise from Vancouver along the inside passage to Alaska.
Never been on a cruise before and not really fancied it tbh as I don't like the thought of being on a boat with 2000 other people but got to do it if we want to see the sights. I know a seasoned cruiser like you is going to laugh at that! :ciggrin:

I never thought that I would like cruising Bob but it is a good way to holiday !!!:thumbs:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
The fact that we all need a "woody" is important to making the forum great, how do we know that the new forum member that has not been on since wasn't another woody?

We all need to encourage the "woodys" to come out and we will all learn from them as well.

In all honesty I would like Woody to stay, but respect his wishes for leaving. If that's what he really wants then I support him.

I agree with you Ted, but what opportunities have we lost with the new member that has not bothered since? What could they have become?

I agree with you Eamonn. but the fact is if I had been given the chance to defend myself, I could even had the chance to explain it was not a case of taking the P*** out of the nickname and even Apologised for the mistake, I wasn't going to say anymore in this thread but I will always defend myself if given the chance!

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith

Glad to here you're ok Geordie boy. Get well soon and get back amongst us. It's not the same without our Chairman Plonker.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
I've done that cruise from Vancouver through the inside Passage to Alaska Bob, absolutely brilliant mate, I'm sure you'll just love it. Don't worry about the 2000 odd passengers, it's a big ship with plenty of room for everyone.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I've done that cruise from Vancouver through the inside Passage to Alaska Bob, absolutely brilliant mate, I'm sure you'll just love it. Don't worry about the 2000 odd passengers, it's a big ship with plenty of room for everyone.

Can I pm you rather than clog up the thread Dave if I have questions ?

We were in Canada in 2013 when the floods hit Calgary and Banff, Were near Jasper and due to go on to Banff so had to drastically change our plans which was OK as we got to see other places. This time Flying to Calgary, Banff, criss crossing over to Jasper and all down the country on to Vancouver Island then cruise followed by a few days in Vancouver. Much we've seen before, some we haven't but I think on second trips you see the things you missed first time. Our 45 wedding Anniversary this March so a bit of a celebration.

Alaska is important to us and don't want to miss out but some of the excursions look extremely expensive. My wife would like the helicopter / dog sled on the glacier but on line company prices are around £375 each for around an hour or so. Hope it's cheaper on the day 'cos I'm not paying that! We're sailing on Celebrity Infinity but I've given up looking at reviews as some are excellent and others awful.

Kardav

the PENsioner
Fellow
First Name
Dave
Can I pm you rather than clog up the thread Dave if I have questions ?

We were in Canada in 2013 when the floods hit Calgary and Banff, Were near Jasper and due to go on to Banff so had to drastically change our plans which was OK as we got to see other places. This time Flying to Calgary, Banff, criss crossing over to Jasper and all down the country on to Vancouver Island then cruise followed by a few days in Vancouver. Much we've seen before, some we haven't but I think on second trips you see the things you missed first time. Our 45 wedding Anniversary this March so a bit of a celebration.

Alaska is important to us and don't want to miss out but some of the excursions look extremely expensive. My wife would like the helicopter / dog sled on the glacier but on line company prices are around £375 each for around an hour or so. Hope it's cheaper on the day 'cos I'm not paying that! We're sailing on Celebrity Infinity but I've given up looking at reviews as some are excellent and others awful.
Feel free to pm me any questions Bob although it was 9 years ago when we went, don't suppose much has changed though. We sailed on Norwegian Sun but they're all pretty similar. Celebrity have a good reputation I think, don't take much notice of the reviews, there's always going to be moaners. Can't comment on the helicopter trip as not done it, we went onto the big glacier between Banff and Jasper, can't remember the name at the moment but no helicopter or dog sleds though.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Without checking Dave I think the place is Saskatchewan. we're staying 1 night at the hotel ( The Crossing) very close to the glacier before travelling on to Jasper so we'll have a trip on to it. They're amazing things to be close to, only been once before in new Zealand and will never forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.