• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Double closed end, kitless machined and cast.

BradG

First Name
Brad
This one has kept me busy for the past couple of days. Couple of tiny bubbles there, so I've added a pressure pot to my birthday wishlist! Quite enjoying this casting malarky.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 61
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 61
  • boxed.jpg
    boxed.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 61

BradG

First Name
Brad
Thanks everyone!

Gorgeous work Brad, love that one..:drool: Is that Polyester Resin?

It is indeed. When playing with this stuff before I used to use pigments, then realised there was literally no point. I made one pen with black pigment, and then thought, maybe if I paint the background and cast it clear I would still see the depth of the etch rather than losing all that detail by infilling it solid. Nope. it was EXACTLY the same. casting clear removes the depth you would see completely... so now I only cast in clear, and airbrush the background. quite an interesting optical illusion it creates.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Another way to fly Brad I enjoy these new pens this one follows a design that is in vogue ie not using a clip. A clip can be a pain at times I think detracting from the lines of a pen, expected but not essential IMHO.

Such a beaut time to be a member of the forum with vision. I get excited opening various contributions thank you for yours today.

Peter.

BradG

First Name
Brad
Thanks for the kind words all. The green was a bit of a gamble as I usually go for the safe bet of black. I have quite a few colours on the shelf, but reluctant to give some of them a go. I should really bite the bullet to see how they turn out.

I have a rather nice celtic one in the process at the moment. hopefully I can finish that one off tomorrow. That will certainly be black

BradG

First Name
Brad
A striking pen Brad. I spotted the little breather hole in the cap. Do you find that beneficial?

You spotted a bubble in the casting. the hole doesn't go all the way through ;) . Once I have a pressure pot i'l be able to stop that from occuring

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
You spotted a bubble in the casting. the hole doesn't go all the way through ;) . Once I have a pressure pot i'l be able to stop that from occuring
I see - in that case, sorry to draw attention to it. You coulds always drill it through and call it a breather hole:bwink:

BradG

First Name
Brad
I see - in that case, sorry to draw attention to it. You coulds always drill it through and call it a breather hole:bwink:

No problem at all Phil, I like to leave flaws like these in plain sight as a reminder not just to myself, but to other turners of those little problems which can creep up. This one highlights the importance of casting in a pressure pot. Chances are il inject the holes with resin and polish it up.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).