• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Drill Press Keyless Chuck

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have used similar chucks over the years with success however I found the best chuck for my use has been the keyed ones used for hammer drills. They have the longest jaws and grip that suits me in every way.

Peter

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Yes, I use a keyless chuck in my drill press. I also use one on my lathe. One came with the drill, so is probably the same make which is jet. No complaints at all. This from memory, as I've never had to do it myself, but I think I'm right in saying that the quill in your drill should have two slots in it. Lower the quill using the handle until those slots line up with two more which will appear inside. Slide a bar through them all from one side to the other then raise the quill again, which will knock out the chuck.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I prefer Keyed chucks but what Phil said for removal. If you google it I'd lay money on there being videos on youtube to show you how to do it.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I've got several keyless chucks and find the cheap ones don't grip as well as the premium makes. The best one I have is an Albrecht but I have a Rohm that's not too bad as well.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I have an Axminster pillar drill, which came with a keyless chuck.
It stays tight "most" of the time. but certainly isn't as good as a keyed chuck

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I used an Axminster keyless chuck for years with no problem at all also my hand drill have the same type of chuck normally there is a piece of tapered flat metal that comes with the drill wind the quill down as said and slide the tapered bar in the slot and tap it with a hammer this will dislodge your chuck

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Loved the answer video you were given on the IAP mate for removal. I like to use a different system involving a locking bar through the quill I have had the odd drop out on withdrawal in angry metal.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have an Axminster pillar drill, which came with a keyless chuck.
It stays tight "most" of the time. but certainly isn't as good as a keyed chuck

I have had over 1" drill bits in my lathe and the drill never slipped.:thumbs:

The one I got probably came out of the same factory as yours Jim.

Keyless Drill Chuck B16, 1-13mm

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).