• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Drilling Acrylic/Resin Blanks

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The more I hear and see of Acrylic Blanks the experiences vary so much, to me they are messy and improbable with white curlings. Amazing how they can be so beautiful. As well the infill painting makes them creative Angelo.

Peter.

Mayo Mick

Apprentice Member
First Name
Michael
I've recently cast some acrylic blanks. I'm wondering if I should drill them from both ends on my bench drill to minimise blow out? Want to avoid wasting any if possible :thumbs:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I've recently cast some acrylic blanks. I'm wondering if I should drill them from both ends on my bench drill to minimise blow out? Want to avoid wasting any if possible :thumbs:

Hi Michael I can drill both ends on my lathe with pen jaws on and the hole is perfect but I would not attempt it on my drill press I do not think they are as accurate drilling both ends as a lathe would try it with an old blank first

Mayo Mick

Apprentice Member
First Name
Michael
I don't have any pin jaws for the chuck that I have (its an old vantage chuck from Robert Sorby that I bought new in '97, cannot get accessories anymore for it) I'll try drilling on my pillar drill, If not successful, I'll have to get myself a new chuck.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I don't have any pin jaws for the chuck that I have (its an old vantage chuck from Robert Sorby that I bought new in '97, cannot get accessories anymore for it) I'll try drilling on my pillar drill, If not successful, I'll have to get myself a new chuck.

Do a search on youtube where there are examples of home made pen jaws which you could adapt to your chuck. From memory it looked pretty simple using aluminium angle and some earth magnets

I saved it somewhere if you're stuck as I intended making it but took the easy route and bought some.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I’ve found turning between centres first then drilling on the lathe is much more accurate and less chance of a blowout.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I use a drill press and drill point DeWalt type 2 drills so called because the lead point of the drill is shaped like a small drill.

Peter.

Skin-Job

First Name
Karl
I drill with a large drill press and DeWalt bullet points.

I drill one end to a depth of 10mm, then turn the blank over and drill through from the other end.
Never had any kind of blowout since I started doing it this way.

Karl

Mayo Mick

Apprentice Member
First Name
Michael

Just an update on this. I've tried drilling on my drill press to some degree of success. Got some blowout on a few blanks rendering them useless:sob:
I tried some in my chuck and they actually fit into it, just! 100% success rate so far, taking it easy as I'm nearing the end of the blank :thumbs:

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I always have a backer block whether I’m using a drill press or the lathe, I drill very carefully especially near the end and I have never had any issues with blowout.

Toon

Apprentice Member
First Name
John
Once I've cut my blanks, the extra bits I have left I glue together & when they are long enough I can make a pen blank out of them ( saves a lot of waste!):thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).