• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Exotic Pen Blanks

L33

First Name
Lee
Having had a look online, there are several places to buy Exotic Pen Blanks. Was just wondering if anyone has used any particular sites or could recommend which ones to purchase from.

Also, just wondering if it's a case of just ordering your favourite, or wether there are particular blanks to buy or even avoid.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
You named a firm in the US Exotic blanks but if you want USA go to the IAP sellers. In the UK also heaps of dealers. Check out the listed dealers on our forum.

Peter.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have used Exotic blanks.....great selection.....great service....good prices....what more can i say.....
I tend to spread my love.....like Dalboy i use Stiles and Bates.....Beaufort.....Taylors....and Turners Workshop....also use Beartooth woods in the US oh and Mik Lawrence in OZ:ciggrin::ciggrin:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Having had a look online, there are several places to buy Exotic Pen Blanks. Was just wondering if anyone has used any particular sites or could recommend which ones to purchase from.

Also, just wondering if it's a case of just ordering your favourite, or wether there are particular blanks to buy or even avoid.[/QUOTE

If you have a decent well set up Bandsaw and are prepared to resaw you can have blanks very cheap. You could buy a 5x5x2" block of Zebrano for £6.05 inc vat from exotic hardwoods uk now I don't know how much they charge for postage but lets suppose its £9 all in if you resaw the block in half you now have 2 blocks 5x5x1 which I recon will be about 14 blanks which is about 65 pence each. Last time I bought zebrano blanks from a dealer they where £2 each. I just bought a plank of oak (77"x6x1") from a small family run saw mill which happens to be spalted along most of its length for £10 so you can get unusual wood locally also if you ask around. This came about because my wife emailed the sawmill and the owner replied and invited us up to look around. I also managed to get a large slice of oak about 1000x1000x14 mm I am going to resaw into scroll saw blanks.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
If a listing as they come to hand found its way to the library it would be a real resource for Uk members, we all have our sources.

Peter.

L33

First Name
Lee

Also, just wondering if it's a case of just ordering your favourite, or wether there are particular blanks to buy or even avoid.[/QUOTE

If you have a decent well set up Bandsaw and are prepared to resaw you can have blanks very cheap. You could buy a 5x5x2" block of Zebrano for £6.05 inc vat from exotic hardwoods uk now I don't know how much they charge for postage but lets suppose its £9 all in if you resaw the block in half you now have 2 blocks 5x5x1 which I recon will be about 14 blanks which is about 65 pence each. Last time I bought zebrano blanks from a dealer they where £2 each. I just bought a plank of oak (77"x6x1") from a small family run saw mill which happens to be spalted along most of its length for £10 so you can get unusual wood locally also if you ask around. This came about because my wife emailed the sawmill and the owner replied and invited us up to look around. I also managed to get a large slice of oak about 1000x1000x14 mm I am going to resaw into scroll saw blanks.

The thought has crossed my mind...most the blanks I have already I have got from boards...just worried I'll get carried away and run out of room :)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).