• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Expensive mistake

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi all....not a happy bunny....
These are not as easy as they look as can be seen below..i have oversanded the rose and now the leaf shows through...these are wafer thin and i used a thick super glue not my normal medium and its all gone a bit ti$s up:sob::sob:
I think i might wait a bit longer to try the next one:thinks:20160906_094513.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Felt that for you mate never mind you have done well up to now. Is there another kit thats shorter with the brass sizes?

Peter.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Noooooooooo!

God, I feel your pain Mark. However, all may not be lost. If that is the cap for the kit I think it is, will the clip not cover it? The clip extends down to within about 3mm of the center band and your leaf burp appears to be higher than that.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Yes i thought of that and a few other ideas....when i calm down and become a bit more level headed i might re visit this one:rolling:

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
That really is a pain. It is always a problem with sanding, just how far do you go? I sometimes think one can examine too far and that maybe one finds faults that are not really there. I have never tried polymer clay but I can imagine it is really tricky. I hope you manage to successfully engineer some kind of save.

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
The alternative is to not sand and just apply CA. When I said 800-1000 grit that was to help prevent this. Coarse grit will easily do this. The cane slices are 0.2mm thick and very lightly sanding to remove dust or what not is all that is needed.

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Ok my bad. Re-reading this I see it was sanding the CA. What grit was you using ??

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Ed i was using 1200 grit wet and dry paralell sanded and very carefully....7/8 rubs then wipe 7/8 rubs but once you see its too thin its too late...
I have refinished this now and as Phil said the clip will cover this and does.....i now have the main barrel to polish but with the mix of CA its not going to be easy...and very slow.....
Lessons learned....dont use two brands of CA ....stick with what you know(pun intended)
Tomorow is another day

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
I was on my cell phone reading this and I was not able to see the photo that well. Was not sure which tube was the problem.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
The entire leaf cane will have been placed on and then the blank will have then been rolled so that the leaf becomes part of the background. As you say they are wafer thin. The rose will have then been added and again rolled.
Maybe... Careful detail sanding will bring the leaf through to the point were the blank looks acceptable.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I noticed when you applied the CA you raised it quite a way from the blank, perhaps one small amount then another so there would be less finishing involved. I use a skew on the flat in these instances.

Peter.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Ooops i have double posted and dont know how to remove this one

Last edited:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I noticed when you applied the CA you raised it quite a way from the blank, perhaps one small amount then another so there would be less finishing involved. I use a skew on the flat in these instances.

Peter.

When I bought a dozen or so printed circuit board blanks the first one chattered severely right across with chipping this pic was the saved pic from that recovery, all the ones since I rounded the corners first (not your problem with your blanks). Skew on the flat CA especially near the ends.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 24

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
This issue is not exclusive to polymer clay. It has been well known with watch parts as well as a number of other similar projects. Watch parts may be the heavy examples as the thickness is very critical and they often break through the casting resin.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).