• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fens Bog Oak

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Lovely pen Woody mate. I wish I could get more bog oak, never a problem selling it. I've never had to stabilise it though.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Lovely pen Woody mate. I wish I could get more bog oak, never a problem selling it. I've never had to stabilise it though.

I was given this piece and it was stabilized already mind I dont think it would have stood up to turning if it wasn't I still had to fill a lot of voids

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad

I'm always dubious when a piece is called bog oak, because it black doesn't mean it is.

There is so much around that isn't.

This came out of a fen 20 years ago dripping wet and sat in my shed since then, guaranteed bog oak as I know where it can from.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Like this one. Bog oak is always good to use but being black and shiny means you have to be careful to sand away any radial lines. I learned this to my cost just recently. Pen finished up looking like a ploughed field. What a bogger - I mean bugger! Well done, Woody!

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).