• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First attempt with this medium

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
Recently I got sent a 1mm thick piece of synthetic opal to try to incorporate into a pen. 1mm is the thickness of the opal rings at the ends, though I found it really difficult to set into the sides lengthwise. It took careful measuring, though I'm sure there may be a better way. The sparkle doesnt really show in the photograph.

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 34

waterbuffalo

First Name
nigel
Recently I got sent a 1mm thick piece of synthetic opal to try to incorporate into a pen. 1mm is the thickness of the opal rings at the ends, though I found it really difficult to set into the sides lengthwise. It took careful measuring, though I'm sure there may be a better way. The sparkle doesnt really show in the photograph.

synthetic opal...:thinks: now THERE'S something i need to try...only used real opal up till now...looks fab though, fella :thumbs:

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
That's another wee little cracker and nice to see your trying multiple mediums.... Next we'll see you do fully acrylic :funny:
In all honesty it looks really good, I have done some irredescent foil blanks and they look stunning in the hand and bland photographed..... Might too have to look at this synthetic opal :drool::drool:
Keep them coming and those little white ribbons flying:funny::funny:

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
That's another wee little cracker and nice to see your trying multiple mediums.... Next we'll see you do fully acrylic :funny:
Keep them coming and those little white ribbons flying:funny::funny:

Never any chance of fully acrylic, Mark. Those ribbons drive me bananas, though no ribbons with the lab opal!!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).