• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Fountain Pen Kit

Picsnbits

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mike
Hi Folks.
Beginner (ish) question.
I have done a couple of dozen basic slimline / streamline kits and am getting adequate results. Not great but about acceptable. Now I would like to move up a level and as well as trying both Delta and Zeta TM kits I would like to try to make a fountain pen.
Question is - which kit for my skill level??
Your guidance please.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
i would go with the omega. it is a decent kit, and is decent value for money. I have started to buy a few sets of spare working tubes. I turn these, and when done I buy the kits. It allows me to not have money tied up waiting for me to get round to finishing them- which can take me weeks, and allows me to choose the kit colour based on the blank used. when I assemble the pens, the tubes are left over from the kits, so I can start again!

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Coincidently Mike, I have just ordered some Omegas, bushings and drill bits, thought I'd give them ago because they make very attractive looking pens for the money.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am with Mark I mass drill. glue ,square end clean in batches if I can. Depends now what kit you choose from over there now but there is more making in the kits you have been using than most fountain pens.

Just making a fountain pen considerations are nib choices, how you get ink to them ie via cartridge or filler etc. Do you want it for yourself then do you post your own caps when in use? Do you test write the ones you sell thoroughly?, How will you present them ( in a box etc). Its another world IMHO far less casual than ball point pens. If you dont use a fountain pen yourself then you make purely for money or friends.

Peter.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
In my opinoin the JR Gent would be ideal relitavly cheap and quite easy to make.

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
wasnt there issues with getting the cartridges to fit the jr gent not so long ago? That is what put me off them, and persuaded me to try the omegas.

i personally would spend the extra couple of quid per kit and get something that is substantially higher in quality. worst case, you knacker a pair of tubes as you learn, best case is that you end up with a really decent pen. if your turning isnt what you hope on a particular blank, dont assemble it!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
There is plenty of choice but if I lived in the former EU I would treat Phil as my go to man he has and lives and breathes all things fountain pen. Be quick though there is a move to secede from Scotland and Ireland as well if the news media are to be believed.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Two ways of looking at this.

1. Go for the cheapest kits available, that way it won't cost the earth to learn by your mistakes.

2. Buy the best quality kit you can afford but buy replacement tubes for them.

If you make mistakes then it won't cost the earth whatever direction you take.

Me personally would go for option 2, that's because your skills will improve and you will turn a top class pen one day. That way you will have all the gear to make good quality pens and not be left with allot of gear to do cheap pens.

And anyway, if you only make cheap on pens that's what everyone will know you for.:wink:

Yes you could go for option one and still buy tubes for them, but the tubes for them will be around the same price as the more expensive kits. So what is the point.

Although you could use it as an excuse to buy more tools and just say I'm learning new things so I need new toys..:whistling:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I've never really understood the concept of cheap kits for beginners. Its a bit like learning to drive in a British Leyland Mini Metro with a slipping clutch and a dodgy gearbox. The cheaper they are, then yes, the more kits you will get for a beginner's budget, which as your confidence, knowledge and skills grow, and your hobby develops, will usually grow in line with them.

But cheap kits are often laden with problems. The example of the cartridge not fitting the Jr Gent has already been mentioned, which is a symptom of poor component design. The components not fitting the tubes properly, too tight or too lose, is more commonplace than is ever read about on this forum, possibly because those experiencing such problems believe that is the norm. Threads buckling during assembly. Platings that wear off. Transmissions that break after a week. Shall I go on? Many of the problems that are associated with cheap kits are ones that require the skills of an experienced turner to overcome, which is something of an irony.

There is a world beyond cheap kits, and the skills required to turn the more expensive pen are exactly the same as those needed to turn the cheaper pen. If you can turn a Jr Gent you can turn a Mistral or a Majestic. What does have a bearing though is the prospect of making rooky errors on an expensive kit, so it's very tempting to think it much better to mess up on a cheap kit. The point is, you are not making errors on the kit at all, you are making errors on the tubes. Spare tubes cost pennies and are available for almost all kits.

Therefore, my advise to anyone seeking a good choice of kit for near beginners is forget about preconceived conceptions that a pricier one is only for more experienced turners - choose a kit on the basis of 1. you can afford it, 2. you like the look of it, and 3, it fits in with what you have gleaned along the way about being of reasonable or good quality. The better the quality of kit, (and I don't mean the more bling and gimmicks it has welded to to it to whack up the price) the easier it is to put together, the nicer the end result, and the greater the sense of achievement and satisfaction at the end of the process.

So get some spare tubes for your good quality pen kits and make your rooky errors on them. Turn off the blanks and start again if you get it wrong, or bin them and start afresh if you need to - they are much, much cheaper to practice on than ANY kit, and when you get it right, you will have a lovely pen, hopefully a fine writing instrument, and the enthusiasm and skill to do it again, not the disillusionment of a makeweight that is "not bad for a first attempt". You will also be set up with the paraphernalia to continue making nice pens, not the stuff that will eventually fall by the wayside as you move on to the better kits in the end anyway.

Jim

Grand Master
The components not fitting the tubes properly, too tight or too lose, is more commonplace than is ever read about on this forum, possibly because those experiencing such problems believe that is the norm.

I have made 100's of these pens and can honestly say that i have never had an issue with the above ..

Threads buckling during assembly.

I have had more Omega's do this than any other kit, until i started to use a blank that protected the threads when pressing in the component ..

You are trying to make out that the JR Gents are the monsters among kits when they are certainly not .. I have never had one of these pens returned to me as faulty, nor have i had a complaint ... I am speaking for myself here and not others ..

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I have had more Omega's do this than any other kit, until i started to use a blank that protected the threads when pressing in the component ..

You are trying to make out that the JR Gents are the monsters among kits when they are certainly not .. I have never had one of these pens returned to me as faulty, nor have i had a complaint ... I am speaking for myself here and not others ..

I wasn't intending to single out the Jr Gent as a monster Jim. but re-reading my post I can see why you might think that - I was referring to poor quality kits and happened to mention that cartridges (other than the one supplied with it) do not the Jr Gent. My post IS ambiguous I grant you, but any reference to the Jr Gent being the monster among kits is entirely unintentional and I apologise unreservedly. :frenchkiss: Without naming either kit or supplier, I sent 50 kits (ballpoints) back the other day because the finial was too tight for the mechanism, and I am just about to return 20 kits of a different type to someone else because a part is too fat for the tube. These problems DO exist.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I wasn't intending to single out the Jr Gent as a monster Jim. but re-reading my post I can see why you might think that - I was referring to poor quality kits and happened to mention that cartridges (other than the one supplied with it) do not the Jr Gent. My post IS ambiguous I grant you, but any reference to the Jr Gent being the monster among kits is entirely unintentional and I apologise unreservedly. :frenchkiss: Without naming either kit or supplier, I sent 50 kits (ballpoints) back the other day because the finial was too tight for the mechanism, and I am just about to return 20 kits of a different type to someone else because a part is too fat for the tube. These problems DO exist.

Phil you are a gent these probs usually escape the major dealers ending up a places like mine. Bingo customer service pays huge dividends at yours.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I've never really understood the concept of cheap kits for beginners. Its a bit like learning to drive in a British Leyland Mini Metro with a slipping clutch and a dodgy gearbox. The cheaper they are, then yes, the more kits you will get for a beginner's budget, which as your confidence, knowledge and skills grow, and your hobby develops, will usually grow in line with them.

I agree with what Phil here.:thumbs:
Who would try to learn to drive in a pommy car any way.:rolling::goesred::whistling::funny:

Picsnbits

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mike
Gentlemen. Many thanks for the detailed replies. Much appreciated indeed.
I will take the good kit and spare tube(s) route.
Pension day at the weekend so I'm off to browse the Internet for my starter kit and the necessary bits.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
No one ever says oh is that a Streamline? to me they look at the timber and finish, how it writes (nice fine line). They like the retracting mech, the carry weight and presentation. Put it to the test the rest in info comes from you to the customer or family or friends. On your pension you will soon realise the real costs anyway. Buying from looks such as the giant TV,s from Aldi often results in returns i wonder how many on the forum have a warranty or return policy they have had to honour? I recently bought a new generation 4 tele from Aldi the sound was crap and the pic followed when it was ready watching sport, the hype was incredible. It went back.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).