• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First posting in ages; an oak pencil with walnut Celtic cross

Davideccroft

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Not posted in ages but so much inspiration on this site I thought I'd post one again.
I made this pen as a retirement present for someone who liked propelling pencils but used only disposables. A summary of the steps taken with photos is also attached. Any comments and improvement tips welcomed.

Attachments

• Muriel's pen.pdf
    185.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 67

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Take notice boys, it's a pencil init?

Constructive criticism:
Its to fat, the segmenting is to wide, the bushes are worn or you have cut to much off.

Davideccroft

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Take notice boys, it's a pencil init?

Constructive criticism:
Its to fat, the segmenting is to wide, the bushes are worn or you have cut to much off.

Many thanks for the comments. I'd never thought of checking the bushings. I'm still on my original set. The knot thickness was a personal choice but I agree the body wasn't thinned enough now I've tried to write with it. It was my first pencil (a special request) I think. I had a few kits I bought ages ago but think this was the first I tried and I was concentrating on not having bits fall out with the walnut slices.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You don't need to justify yourself to me, if it's how you want it to be then that is how it's meant to be.
Some people like a fat pen pen, as you say the knot was intentional so it's a goodun.
I only speak from personal preference but try to help where I can.

Jim

Grand Master
A very good effort David, i like the idea of the PDF showing the makings of this pencil my friend .. :thumbs:

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
That's a nice pencil well done:thumbs:
On reading how it was made I noted you say you dirlled the the blank, then cut it to make the cross? thought you made the cross then drilled. I only have tryed it once and it fell to bits so may be that's where I went wrong :nooidea:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have just looked at your pdf and feel I have to say, although it hasn't taught me anything I didn't already know????
It has to be one of the nicest, bestest laid out easy to follow tutorials I have seen.
Top marks for that init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).