• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Follow on from "Hmpff" thread

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
I have put this here as I have a few questions.

Here are the photo's of the blank I managed to mess up.

Some of the potential solutions have really peeked my interest, Aluminium powder, Milliput and the powders from Metallic Powder - Turners Retreat and I am hoping to try them out at the end of next week but have some questions first. I found this for the aluminium powder Aluminium Powder Metal - Easy Composites

1) Is the "chip-out" small enough for the solutions to work?

2) Are the powders from the two links the same?

3) Whilst Milliput seems easy enough to use, how would I go about using the aluminium powder? [MENTION=52]yorkshireman[/MENTION] has suggested using C.A, would I need to make a paste or do I put it on in layers? (CA followed by the powder then repeat and rinse?)

4) If Milliput is used [MENTION=626]flexi[/MENTION] can it be coloured or does it need painting once set?

Attachments

• IMG_0049 (2).JPG
    IMG_0049 (2).JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0051 (2).JPG
    IMG_0051 (2).JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 34

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Gary I’ve never repaired a chip out as big as that but it still may work. I tried to make a paste of super glue and powdered aluminium but it goes off too quick. So I do as you alluded with ca then powdered aluminium and build it up in layers. Looking at the blank I don’t think what I suggest would look very good with that pattern though that’s my personal opinion.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Gary I’ve never repaired a chip out as big as that but it still may work. I tried to make a paste of super glue and powdered aluminium but it goes off too quick. So I do as you alluded with ca then powdered aluminium and build it up in layers. Looking at the blank I don’t think what I suggest would look very good with that pattern though that’s my personal opinion.

Thanks Keith,

I might chip it a little more in places and practice some infill techniques

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
With that I would concider scrapping it and remaking the blank. It looks like you went to hard when turning by seeing the small row of small chipped area, how do I know yes you guessed I have done it when I first started turning resins. Don't waste buying powder to only use it to practice with on a chip that large.

There is no shame in starting again

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
As above, it is a little bit big..... If I had to save it, and I probably wouldn't, I would use black Milliput, but also once set use a dremel to cut bits out and use terracotta Milliput.... a lot of effort...

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I would also like to point out that the brass that is showing shows no sign of any glue on it so a dry joint may also be part of the problem.

Garno

Fellow
First Name
Gary
Thanks for the help everyone
I think deep down I suspected it was maybe a little too big.

I will rescue the tube next week and the first thing I will do is scuff it up. :whistling:
All of the suggestions you have given certainly gave me something to consider in the future :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
When they make some tubes they are drawn through a die and they use oil to help lubricate as they do so. Even though they do clean them and sometimes a very thin layer remains a good clean off with thinners or a slight abrasive sheet will help over come the problem

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).