• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Green Maple Fountain Pen

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Evening Pen Friends!

I haven’t made any wooden pens for a while but the urge came over me last week so I decided to revisit how I made them in the past and try to improve things with regard to my approach.

The way I used to make them involved gluing the liners, sleeves and finials together and then finishing the pen as a whole. This is fine but I like to have contrasting finishes between the wood and the acrylic, (satin v gloss), like I have done in this pen. It’s ok to do that with a completed pen but masking areas off is quite tricky, especially as the barrel and cap are both tapered, and you can end up getting buffing compound penetrating the edge if the wood, and wood lacquer going over the acrylic. Not ideal.

So now I have a more component based approach where I can make and finish each piece separately and then assemble the pen at the end. Well almost! Enough for me to achieve my aims in any case.

This is green dyed and stabilised maple burr with acrylic and sterling accents. Both cap and barrel are fully lined with acrylic. It features a Jowo 6 nib and a chrome plated steel roller ball clip.

Cap threads are 13mm triple lead.

Cheers
Ash

IMG_1196.jpegIMG_1200.jpegIMG_1205.jpegIMG_1208.jpegIMG_1213.jpegIMG_1187.jpegIMG_1192.jpeg

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
That's your special St. Paddy's pen or is it for the Irish result on Saturday?

Dyed maple burr is just a lovely medium.....Well done with the pen.
I don't understand the technicalities involved in the construction, but I like the end result.
Cheers Alan! I was rather hoping we could avoid any rugby talk 😂😂 but very well done to the Irish. Much deserved!

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
That's a great design and combination of materials! Very nice job! What's the finish for the wood?
As it’s stabilised I put a hard wax on it (carnauba). I also advise customers to treat with care as it’s more of a desk pen and it isn’t a pen for throwing in a bag or for stirring your tea 😊.
Cheers
Ash