• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello and advice please.

SteveClay

Registered
First Name
Stephen
Recently retired and new to turning. I've joined a local club and have been using a record 320 and an axminster variable speed. I'm not sure I can warrant £600. The Record 305 looks good bit will I get fed up changing belts. Is an extra £300 for variable speed worth it. Thanks

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hello and welcome to the forum....
The short answer to your question is only you will know, depending on your available cash....
I have an older Axi Perform lathe with the belt adjust and tbh I have never changed the speed, much like my pillar drill...yes I know I can/ could but it works as is...so do I need an easier variable speed gizmo?
If price is an issue and you must have all the bells and whistles check out E bay Axminster sell off their returns as do disillusioned turners. Most good makes are robustly built these days :thumbs:

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
Agree with Mark.
Down to what you actually want to turn and your budget.
There are some amazing Lathes that have all the bells and whistle's to do whatever you want BUT its down to what YOU want to turn and what it is going to be used for :scratch_head:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi & welcome Stephen,
I would say it’s down to what you intend turning, if it’s just pens then a belt driven lathe is fine, if you intend to turn a wide variety of things then variable speed can be very handy.
Take for instance an out of shape blank with variable speed you can start slowly as you begin to true up the blank & as you progress you can slowly increase the speed until you are at the speed you want & the blank is true.
Personally I wouldn’t want to be without variable speed as it is so useful but as Mark & Colin have said it’s really down to you & your budget, best of luck in your endeavours what ever you choose.