• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How do people drill there pen blanks

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
If you already have a Nova or Sorby chuck I think they are a good choice. Stronger than the PSI pen blank chuck.

For anyone with an Axminster chuck their engineers jaws will do the job too but a bit expensive if that's all you are going to use them for.

Cheers Walter I have the Nova so I knew they would fit!!

Jim

Grand Master
I use the 4 jawed pins for holding the blanks, only thing with these is that your blank has to be 100% square or it has to be round for the hole to be centered the full length of the blank.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I use the 4 jawed pins for holding the blanks, only thing with these is that your blank has to be 100% square or it has to be round for the hole to be centered the full length of the blank.

Yeah, me too. I make my own blanks and square them up on the bandsaw so I *usually* have no problem. Brain-out moments are not that rare, sadly ... :goesred:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Copied this from another web site.

If you mean .05mm total “slop”, instead of .05mm all the way around, that’s pretty good.
Keep in mind you don’t want a snug fit between the tube and blank, there has to be a small amount of space for the glue to go, and for the brass tube to expand when we press the parts together…if it is a snug fit “dry” then when you press the pen together, the blank will crack.
Take a slimline, the hole we drill is 7.0mm, but the tube is 17/64th (6.77mm) of an inch…same with the Sierra, a 27/64 (10.60mm) hole for a 13/32(10.32mm) dia tube, right at a 32nd (.30mm) of an inch “slop” give or take.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Copied this from another web site.

If you mean .05mm total “slop”, instead of .05mm all the way around, that’s pretty good.
Keep in mind you don’t want a snug fit between the tube and blank, there has to be a small amount of space for the glue to go, and for the brass tube to expand when we press the parts together…if it is a snug fit “dry” then when you press the pen together, the blank will crack.
Take a slimline, the hole we drill is 7.0mm, but the tube is 17/64th (6.77mm) of an inch…same with the Sierra, a 27/64 (10.60mm) hole for a 13/32(10.32mm) dia tube, right at a 32nd (.30mm) of an inch “slop” give or take.

Nice one, mate. Hadn't thought of the need to allow for expansion when you press the accents in. Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

:thumbs:

Old Corky

Drill a small dimple in the exact center, on each end of the Pen Blank. Drive a screw or nail through a board where the point is out, maybe an eighth of an inch or so. Clamp the board on the drill press table with the point exactly in line with the drill point. hold blank upright with pliers with bottom dimple on the point and drill through the top dimple. Move point before going all the way through. Exactly centered hole. Kinda old fashioned but it works every time. :up:

Old Corky

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).