• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

HSS chisels versus Carbide tips

hawkeyefxr

First Name
ken
I would like to say at the outset i am not here to wind people up. I know most of you are diehard wood turners.

I use a small round carbide tip on a home made handle (oak) and 5/16 round SS rod. The carbide tip has zero rake and i use it to basically knock off the edges of the blank. As it approaches a round section the cut get harder to make.

I was trawling through Ebay the other day and came across a carbide tip with rake. I thought i would give this a try. My tip arrived and it fix to my existing homemade handle.
I started on my nearly round blank and it was a revelation, the cut was so smooth when it got to the round section it cut beautifully the was a soft whistle as it cut and the finish was A1. It was that smooth a went straight in with 600 grit wet n dry.

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
I've only just started using a round carbide tipped tool I picked up from Ian (penfold1). Still used the HSS rouging gouge to take it to round but the cut from the carbide tool after that was brilliant to my hand. I definitely need more practice though as still new to it.

When you say zero rake on the carbide tip are you meaning from cutting edge to base of the tip ? If so then the one I'm using narrows from cutting tip to base.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I use zero rake tips with no trouble. If you had problems as the blank got thinner I would guess your toolrest may have been too high. The top of the cutter should cut dead on centre for best results. Accept my apology if I'm telling you what you already know.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I use zero rake for Aluminium or Brass but it does do ok on wood but I do prefer carbide tips with rake on wood. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
My problem with zero rake on my metal lathe is speed on my lathe is too slow to get the benefit. On the wood lathe I prefer and use the tips C/W ith rake happily. I have taken to sanding the corners off plastic as iI bought a dozen or more circuit board pens that chatter dreadfully unless I do. I do prefer my gouge and skew for the task.

Peter.

Winemaker

Registered
First Name
Tom
I use what tool comes to hand and gives a good cut, I often change from one to an other as the wood takes shape :whistling::whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).