• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Les ELm

Executive Member
First Name
Les
I have noticed that more and more pen turning / wood sites are making their sites more secure by upgrading with HTTPS.
Why not make this site more secure?

Les

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Google is trying to get https as the standard, it costs more money and the amount is dependant on the provider. I don't know if there has ever been a problem with the site security.

Peter

Forum Phil

Minder of the cogs & wheels
Registered
First Name
Phil
What's behind the question Les? There are no state secrets on this forum, nor any financial transactions. The worst that might happen from a determined hacker is that they may frape you. Some people may get an annoying pop up from their browser from time to time stating that the site is not https, but compared to a conflict warning whenever a remote off-site image or non https page is linked in a thread, which is worse or more annoying I wonder?

The subject is hot at the moment because of Google's bully boy tactics which are intended to panic everyone into obtaining SSL certificates - but apart from that, as I say, what is behind the question Les? There are huge issues on a vBulletin platform in converting from HTTP to HTTPS, and if it is a genuine concern, which can be backed up with real evidence or argument, then of course, efforts to change to HTTPS would be made.

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
There is no added cost to add ssl to a site. It does help greatly with security and in many ways will improve the site overall. Privacy for one on the clients side. Also transactions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Woops. Also transactions on other sites can be leeched from non secure sites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Then the bottom line rests with Forum Phil reckon your intention Les was honourable, appreciate your input Ed how and in what way would it improve the site?

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).