• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I am still in the workshop

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Some more work on the gear assembly. A support post and a cam for the larger of the two gears. And as a bonus a rubbish video of the gears turning difficult as I was trying to do this one handed as the other was holding the camera

Attachments

• Cam assembly (4).jpg
    Cam assembly (4).jpg
    867 KB · Views: 2
  • Cam assembly (5).jpg
    Cam assembly (5).jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 2

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The governor parts pile has some more parts added to it all small parts but seem to take ages to do even if they are simple still some more to make. I have not yet soldered any parts as there are a few more that need hardening so will do the soldering and hardening all at the same time weather permitting as it is raining here.
The brass pins with the thread on the left are 1/8" diameter to give an indication of size the split pins that will be used on the silver steel pins are 1/32" to fit in the tiny holes

Attachments

• Govenor parts (1).jpg
    Govenor parts (1).jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 2

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have managed to do some more between having to buy and set up a new compter as well as getting the car passed a MOT.

Any way a few more parts some for the Govenor assembly and some for the exhaust valve assembly.

Govenor partts

gov and valve rods (3).JPG

Exhaust push rod assembly

gov and valve rods (4).JPGgov and valve rods (7).JPG

The govenor assembly operates the exhaust assembly once all completed as well as the ignition system.

A general view of both assemblies some need to be silver soldere together I will ddo them in a batch that is why they are still in pieces to give an idea of sizze the two brass balls are 5/8" dianeter

gov and valve rods 2.JPG

The box is slowly filling up with parts this stops bits from going missing while working on other parts

gov and valve rods (8).JPG

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Not done much but have now managed to complete the fuel mixer after having problems drilling a small #76 drilled hole through a 2/8" rod which can be seen in the second photo. The last one is of the assembled fuel. The main body is from 1/2" hexagonal bar. I also need to replace the grub screw as it is a little too long.
fuel mixer #2 (1).jpgfuel mixer #2 (2).jpgfuel mixer #2 (6).jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Derek. love your work. Brings back memories. Now i potter about with petrol mowers and chainsaws I still love it

Thank you.
I had enough of chainsaws and mowers as I was a mechanic at a plant hire company. But it is still great when you solve a problem with them, and they are all working properly again

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I have not updated for a while. I have been painting the main body and cylinder assembly.

Then onto the last part of the fuel mixer assembly is the elbow. Not having one, I thought I would have a go at making one which will give me the chance to do some silver soldering.

I started with 1/2" brass bar and turned the ends and centre section as needed, with a piece of steel made a quick and simple mandrel which I loctited on and clamped at a 45deg angle in the mill vice and notched out before heating to cherry red and bending to form the angle. I thought this was easier than cutting it into two parts and trying to keep it lined up while I soldered it.

The photos should help explain my method of making this.

elbow construction (7).jpgelbow construction (8).jpgelbow construction (11).jpg elbow (1).jpgelbow (10).JPG

Besides that I have been in the garden mainly on the veg patch and now started the flower beds. That is weather permitting

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
What with other jobs, not a lot of workshop time. But I have been able to apply some paint to the main body as well as get one of the flywheels set up for machining, more on that later when there is progress.

Anyway, the paint job it may not be everyone’s taste in colour.

It has got a top clear coat which is petrol resistant.

Main body paint job.jpg