• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I finally got bitten by the bug

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
So I've been casting PR for a couple of months with so great results but I was getting annoyed at how brittle it was (I need a more robust product).
So I bit the bullet and bought a pressure pot, compressor along with some clear polyurethane resin and a shed load of mica colors
I feel like a kid at Christmas lmao
Just got to hook up the compressor and away I go :thumbs:

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Wow Jason, looks like your going to make some colourful blanks. As for the brittle blanks, maybe you got the ratio off, once you get the mix right, you get ribbons when you turn, anyway, just a thought. Look forward to seeing those babies. :winking:

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Cheers John I hope I make some nice ones hehe
For me it's not the lathing that's the problem they lathe and polish up beautifully, it's the knock and drop that's the problem they either crack, split or shatter, for what I use them on it needs to be bump proof .
I will continue to use PR for pens as there is nowt wrong with it, I mix mine at about 1% which from what I've read is about right please correct me if that's wrong :thumbs:
I'm hoping to get some made I the next few days if I can hook up the compressor lol
Jas

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Up up and away Jason. Amazing how it goes. There is a great future in casting.

Last night I visited my mate Ben who is now selling all round the world knife makers in particular. He stabilises incredible timber, his prices start up round the fifties, people can,t get enough.

When I visited last evening he was using his microwave with some impressive Black Ash Burl. He sells his timber with near zero moisture content, I will learn more.

Was your pressure pot all set up or did you have to convert it?

Peter

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
Thanks guys I wish I could sell for that lol, my aim is to get into stablising wood as well but that will be a long time in the future ......maybe lol

Peter yes mate it came already converted and rated at 60psi for about £200 :thumbs:

Just testing it at the moment under 45 psi to make sure it's holding pressure and doesn't blow up in my shed lol

I can finally make ribbon style and so much more different designs ... I can't wait

Jas

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
Looks like fun times ahead Jason :thumbs:. Stabilizing and pressure casting are on my list for the next adventures too. If you don't mind me asking where did you end up sourcing the pressure pot and dyes from ?

jas46

Apprentice Member
First Name
jason
I completed a small test pot this afternoon and it seems very good but I think I poured too cold the colors have bled as I panicked and mixed too early.... it took ages to gel certainly not 17 mins lol but it's still usable
But tomorrow's test I will do at about 24 degrees to see how quick it does gel
Greg
I purchased the pressure pot from here Titan Speeflo & Wagner Airless and HVLP Turbine Spray Equipment
The mica colors I get from an ebay seller called "the color shack" I've used them before and had no problems with them on PR and see no problem's with PU.
To be fair I paid £191.94 Inc postage and it was here in 24hrs this is a very sturdy well built pot certainly much better than the hf ones the clamps are big and secure and it's all converted to resin as well, it's safe at 60 psi but the manual states they are tested at 80 psi for safety
I've seen similar ones on ebay at the £300 mark just because they have feet on them
I teamed the tank up with a cheap 24ltr dewalt compressor that I got from screw fix for £99 and it came with extras hehe I think it can fill the pot to 50 psi in about 20 sec but ive not timed it I just know it's quick.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).