• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Keeping cut pen blanks together

TonyQ

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tony
Since I normally make acrylic pens, I've never had a problem keeping the two pieces of a blank together once I've drilled and glued them. However, I'm now turning batches of wooden ones, and so it became a problem. My simple solution was a piece of plastic-coated chipboard with 4" nails mounted into it. Now when I cut a blank as part of a batch I can put the two pieces on a pair of nails, keeping them the right way up, so that I can be sure to match the grain when I complete the pen. It's a cheap, simple jig, but I now wonder why I didn't make it years ago! No, I know it's not elegant, but it is functional.

2023-04-15 21.26.32.jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
As with Woody above I have a strip of Mdf with 6mm dowels glued in. I also have some clips slid over to clip the Penkit bags too if doing odd kits( stops getting mixed up) 👍🏻👍🏻

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I also put a small mark inside each tube at the centre band end, with a black permanent marker. They're fine all the while the tubes are on the "bed of nails" but you still need to identify which end is which when you pick them up, (or if you drop one)

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I mark my blanks A/A, B/B etc. before cutting & drilling to match the grain up.
I use knitting needles for my finished blanks & stick a cork on the end. I get 3 sets of 2 blanks with grain matching or 6.single blanks on a needle.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).