• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Laser Cut Bee/Wasp

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
I received a new toy yesterday and it was something I’d been mulling over acquiring for a while. Not completely pen related but there are a couple of applications I’m thinking of for it.

It’s a laser cutter/engraver and it’s not something I have much experience of. So I spent yesterday playing around with it and establishing some of the settings required for various materials that I am likely to use. There are a couple of variables you can tweak, such as power and speed, and each material requires a different combination in order to perform the task properly (whether engraving, scoring or cutting). Too weak/fast and you have to do it again. Too strong/slow and you risk melting or setting fire to the work.
Anyway I started with some 3mm ply as I have a couple of ideas for some basic storage around the workshop, drill bits being one. But in order to test it to its limits I downloaded a free template from the web and made this bee/wasp thing. It took a few goes but eventually I got there. Looks pretty cool don’t you think?
Anyway so far I’ve found the experience quite addictive and I’m now going around the house looking for things to engrave. Nothing is safe…
Cheers
Ash
IMG_6986.jpeg

Gordon

First Name
Gordon
I got a laser engraver cutter for my birthday, great toy, like you say nothing is safe! I'm lucky that one of our customers collects from charity shops and we deliver the used books and media by the truckload. I asked him for a few mirrors to practise on, next time I went in, I got presented with a shopping basket filled with mirrors! As I thank you, I presented him with engraved pens for him and his wife and also a mirror engraved with his Company name & logo, and also slate coasters with his Company name & logo.

Not tried engraving biscuits yet, but thanks for the tip Flexi :thumbs: