• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Lucky lad

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I’ve used woodworking machinery all my working life & always give the machines my full attention & respect. This photo was taken a few years ago & I’ve just turned it up.
I was cutting timber on the circular saw & was distracted for a second by something going on in the workshop when BANG, my hand was grabbed & slammed hard down onto the saw table. The pain was severe & I daren’t look for a while. When I did I saw my thumb nail was shattered but my skin wasn’t even touched. I’ll never be as lucky again, but it just shows no matter how careful you are things can happen.
0CBC1EFE-A4DD-42D0-9C9E-E2AD3BB6151A.jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
You are a very lucky lad Bill,
I have seen a lot worse and it never surprises me.... It takes but a split second, mostly when you're in a hurry....
My mantra now is 'Manyana'.... I think a few people know of my last accident :rant: and I did it with just two spanners!
Thanks for sharing!!....... Others may learn

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Blimey bill that was lucky did you do the pools that week as it must have been a long time ago and no lottery because of the black and white photo:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Curly

Graduate Member
First Name
Peter
Glad you are okay and happy to see that the picture isn't of a shortened finger.
Woodworking machines command respect along with the use of guards and push sticks. I have a SawStop adding a final layer of protection but still treat the saw as though it was a regular finger muncher.
Take care
Pete

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Very lucky Bill. Push sticks are your friend when using powered saws. I am often really nervous when I see people on YouTube and the like pushing wood past saw blades with their bare hands. Even worse when I see circular saws being used with no guard at all either! Frightens the life out of me. Applies to band saws too. It just takes one little slip, not really even a lapse of concentration.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
My mantra now is 'Manyana'....

Manyana the meaning

Spanish singer Julio Iglesias was on UK television with British TV host Anne
Diamond.

He used the word "manyana" (pronounced "man -yana"). Diamond asked him to explain what it meant.

He said that the term means: "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or
perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

The host turned to speak to Albert Yatapingu from the Gumbaingeri Tribe
(aboriginal) who was also on the show.

She asked him if there was an equivalent term in his native language.

"Nah", he replied, "In Australia we don't have a word to describe that degree of urgency.":tongue:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Manyana the meaning

Spanish singer Julio Iglesias was on UK television with British TV host Anne
Diamond.

He used the word "manyana" (pronounced "man -yana"). Diamond asked him to explain what it meant.

He said that the term means: "Maybe the job will be done tomorrow; Maybe the next day; Maybe the day after that; Or
perhaps next week; Next month; Next year. Who really cares?"

The host turned to speak to Albert Yatapingu from the Gumbaingeri Tribe
(aboriginal) who was also on the show.

She asked him if there was an equivalent term in his native language.

"Nah", he replied, "In Australia we don't have a word to describe that degree of urgency.":tongue:

Have been to Egypt on both business and pleasure several times, Egyptian for manyana is “When the Apricots next flower”. Apparently they are notoriously unreliable, it could be next week, next month, or next year if you’re lucky.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).